Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Lighter

Cigar Lighter

My Cessna 150G had the cigar lighter disabled per the AD. What is all involved to get it rewired? Is it as simple as running a new wire with a fuse inline from the receptacle to the fuse panel and getting it approved? It would be nice to have power available for a GPS or tablet on long flights.

Yes. All you need to do is reconnect it with a suitable overcurrent protection device (fuse, breaker). I think 10A is right, but don't quote me on it. There's no approval to be had. The AD says disconnect it (and either remove or insulate it) or connect it to a breaker.

Ok thanks. The original circuit is protected with a 10A fuse but that also has the dome light and Nav lights on it.

Not difficult to add an inline fuse to wire the 12V power port to its own circuit, separated from the Nav lights. I should say, not difficult to do on a motorcycle, I have NO knowledge of what is required for DIY on a plane.

Read the AD and then have an A&P comply....an owner cannot perform this:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...C?OpenDocument

When I had mine done, it was at the same time that I had some major electrical upgrades done, converting from a generator to an alternator, and from fuses to circuit breakers. I had an avionics master installed, and the “cigarette lighter” socket wired to the avionics master. That way whatever is plugged in to it is turned on or off with the avionics. Having one switch to kill the power like that is a real benefit to all electronics, saving them from the power surges that can occur when the alternator comes to a stop.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I have an annual coming up soon so I plan on having it taken care of then. The cigar lighter itself looks like it has seen better days so I'm going to just have it replaced also.

I had an A&P rewire my cigar lighter circuit and install a new socket on my C-150H. Cheap and easy. It's protected with a fuse. I'm pretty sure it's a 10 A fuse. Love having 14 V ship power available for such things as portable ADS-B In, iPhone, etc. I also use it to power an inexpensive volt meter that gives accurate readings, which provides excellent information about the health of the electrical system in addition to existing ammeter.

As another suggestion, unless you still smoke in plane and need the lighter, As an A&P, I have had customers ask me to remove cigar lighter and install dual USB ports.. Majority of portable electronics today use USB for power / charging. I have seen many articles in aviation magazines where the cigar lighter /USB adapter like you can get at Walmart does not last and has caused problems with the electronics plugged into them... Just my $.02 worth.

Bill L

It rarely causes problems with the devices plugged into them. The common issue is that they generate RFI that interferes with other installed devices (other than your iPAD or Stratus).