I have a Saw Stop. This is a table saw with a flesh sensor that fires a hunk of aluminum into the blade which stops it in about three degrees of rotation. The momentum also causes the arbor to swing the blade down below the table. I figured it was reasonable insurance. Oddly, stats say more people injure themselves on the less scary looking bandsaw.

Anyhow, I was cutting a piece of PT plywood one day. Normally, if things look like they be wet, I can put the saw into "hot dog" mode (the company demonstrates the flesh sensors by attempting to cut hot dogs, though the owner does occassionally use his own finger). I'd finished the cut when suddenly the blade disappeared. It took me a second to realize what had happened. I had an abrasive saw blade once shatter while I was using it, but this was a hunk of steel. I then realized that the safety had fired. I looked at my hands, but not a nick and they weren't anywhere near the blade. The manufacturer theorizes that it was likely a staple or something else conductive (I actually think it was a tooth from my saw blade, there was one missing) that bridged the gap between the sensor and the blade (new safeties have a piece of plastic tape over them). I've got thee sawblade hanging on my wall with the block of aluminum still jammed into it.

Oddly, I've done more damage on saw blades when they haven't been turning. I always seem to bash myself on them trying to get them on or off or whatever.

Oddly, the guys I know who have contacted the blade in earnest while it was spinning hadn't just reached into one. All the cases I knew about had been kickback incidents where the piece was thrown off in some direction and the hand either followed through or was thrown into the blade.