Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complacency Bites...in the Shop, Too

I have a Saw Stop. This is a table saw with a flesh sensor that fires a hunk of aluminum into the blade which stops it in about three degrees of rotation. The momentum also causes the arbor to swing the blade down below the table. I figured it was reasonable insurance. Oddly, stats say more people injure themselves on the less scary looking bandsaw.

Anyhow, I was cutting a piece of PT plywood one day. Normally, if things look like they be wet, I can put the saw into "hot dog" mode (the company demonstrates the flesh sensors by attempting to cut hot dogs, though the owner does occassionally use his own finger). I'd finished the cut when suddenly the blade disappeared. It took me a second to realize what had happened. I had an abrasive saw blade once shatter while I was using it, but this was a hunk of steel. I then realized that the safety had fired. I looked at my hands, but not a nick and they weren't anywhere near the blade. The manufacturer theorizes that it was likely a staple or something else conductive (I actually think it was a tooth from my saw blade, there was one missing) that bridged the gap between the sensor and the blade (new safeties have a piece of plastic tape over them). I've got thee sawblade hanging on my wall with the block of aluminum still jammed into it.

Oddly, I've done more damage on saw blades when they haven't been turning. I always seem to bash myself on them trying to get them on or off or whatever.

Oddly, the guys I know who have contacted the blade in earnest while it was spinning hadn't just reached into one. All the cases I knew about had been kickback incidents where the piece was thrown off in some direction and the hand either followed through or was thrown into the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I have a Saw Stop. This is a table saw with a flesh sensor that fires a hunk of aluminum into the blade which stops it in about three degrees of rotation. The momentum also causes the arbor to swing the blade down below the table. I figured it was reasonable insurance. Oddly, stats say more people injure themselves on the less scary looking bandsaw.

Anyhow, I was cutting a piece of PT plywood one day. Normally, if things look like they be wet, I can put the saw into "hot dog" mode (the company demonstrates the flesh sensors by attempting to cut hot dogs, though the owner does occassionally use his own finger). I'd finished the cut when suddenly the blade disappeared. It took me a second to realize what had happened. I had an abrasive saw blade once shatter while I was using it, but this was a hunk of steel. I then realized that the safety had fired. I looked at my hands, but not a nick and they weren't anywhere near the blade. The manufacturer theorizes that it was likely a staple or something else conductive (I actually think it was a tooth from my saw blade, there was one missing) that bridged the gap between the sensor and the blade (new safeties have a piece of plastic tape over them). I've got thee sawblade hanging on my wall with the block of aluminum still jammed into it.

Oddly, I've done more damage on saw blades when they haven't been turning. I always seem to bash myself on them trying to get them on or off or whatever.

Oddly, the guys I know who have contacted the blade in earnest while it was spinning hadn't just reached into one. All the cases I knew about had been kickback incidents where the piece was thrown off in some direction and the hand either followed through or was thrown into the blade.
    I've nicked myself with the bandsaw, but the tablesaw is the only tool in my shop that genuinely scares me. Oh, and the jointer. Your hand slips on that one and you're bringing back a nub. As a friend said, you can reattach something you cut off. You can't reattach hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I've nicked myself with the bandsaw, but the tablesaw is the only tool in my shop that genuinely scares me.
    Bandsaws always looked scary to me, but since I got one it's not any more. Of course I have a small bandsaw. I'd probably feel different if it were a big old meat cutting saw. But yeah, the table saw scares the bejeezus out of me, which I figure is a good thing. It helps me be careful to keep all my digits attached.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Well, not as much fun as reading about hamburger and reattaching stuff cut off, reading Ron's original post caused me to remember Christmas holiday 1985. New house, and I was installing roll insulation in the attic.

Going from joist to joist, of course, I lost my balance, so countered by leaning backwards. Ooops, a bit to far, so back forward. Of course, the foot missed the joist and I fell thru the sheetrock, hanging there with joists under the armpits thankfully keeping me from falling to the floor. Hmmm.... why does the hand hurt so much?? At this point, it's pretty obvious that it's broken. Also by this time the fam has rushed out to the garage to see what happened.

So, ignoring their pleas to head to the ER, I say I have to fix things first. Fortunately, instead of going *thru* the sheetrock, it came down in one single piece. So with a broken hand I have to lift it up and nail it back in place (this was before I had electric drivers or drywall screws). Got all the junk put back up in the attic as well. *Then* went to the ER.....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton