Thread: Bill of Sale for de-registered N number

Bill of Sale for de-registered N number

When purchasing an aircraft with a de-registered N number, can that de-registered number be successfully used on the new Bill of Sale and the Aircraft Registration forms ? Can't find applicability in FAR 47 or 49.

This de-registered number may have been handed out to another aircraft. Also now this de-registered aircraft does not carry an N number so no you can not put any number on this bill of sale for this is no longer a registered or N numbered air frame. It does not carry an N number.

You are asking " can I put an N number on a bill of sale for an air frame that does not have or carry an N number ". No you can not. This " de-registered " airplane is nothing more then a pile of parts. Once these parts get inspected and issued an airworthy certificate along with an N number, then you can use that N number.

Tony

The question actually is; How can a legal Bill of Sale be completed on this airplane that the FAA will accept ?

Perhaps a phone call to your FSDO or Aircraft Registration in OK city is in order?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Treat it like you would any airplane you are building and it has not been registered with the FAA. Once built and inspected this is when you contact the FAA. Right now you have a bunch of parts that is not registered with the FAA. You will get a bill of sale between you and the seller. Put the airplane together in one piece then contact the FAA to have it inspected by a DAR, if they still do this. Or you may have to hire an inspector. Then the airworthy certificate will be issued...ect.

The forum 8050-2 will not apply because you do not have a registered airplane. The only time you would use forum 8050-2 is if you are buying an FAA registered airplane. You are not. This is like buying an unregistered ultralight. Only you and the seller and maybe the tax man need to know. Not the FAA.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Please contact the FAA and post here what they tell you. Give them a call in OK. Some very very nice people work there. They only want to help others get in the air. Most have a hard time believing this. But when I almost de-registered my airplane, the folks in OK pulled the paper work, wrote me a letter and had me call them. They explained the screw up I made. They then explained what I needed to do and it was nothing really, just down load forum 8050-2 sign it and send it back with the correct info.

You see I have been down this road, well almost.

These very nice people told me if they would have let this paper work go through, I would have a de-registered airplane, it would have to be reinspected by a dar and then issued another airworthy certificate, then I would contact the FAA to registered it.

But please post here what the out come of this is for anyone who may be going through this themselves. Save them the hassle of having to look all this info up or trying to find it.

Tony

If you're talking about attempting to register as a new owner an aircraft with a registration that has expired but the number hasn't yet hit the purge date, you not only can reregister it, you can even operate the plane based on a copy of the registration application (not allowed if you were the previous owner).

If you're talking about trying to snarf an N number otherwise, then no, you'll have to apply specifically for it and wait for the FAA.

OK ....... spoke with FAA aircraft registry this morning. As 1006vw stated, I just have a pile of parts. The airplane can be re-registered with the same N number if I supply a Bill of Sale, Aircraft Registration form, and photos of the completed airplane and data plate. The airplane had originally been deregistered by Wentworth Aircraft as being sold for parts.

Thanks for the update!

In other words, you will have a zombie aircraft - it was legally declared dead but then came back to life. Get it done by Halloween.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.