Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a flight 'virgin' no more!

I am a flight 'virgin' no more!

So the weather here in Illinois was FANTASTIC today so I hopped on my iron pony and put on about 130 miles of lazy fun motorcycle riding. About half-way on my journey I passed a small grass airport with a sign that said Sport Pilot Training.

$85 later and my Intro Flight began and I WAS FLYING!!!!!! this Evektor Sport for about a half-hour. I did the takeoff, ascent to 3000' and multiple turns basically flitting about the clear blue skies. Also set up the landing thru downwind when the instructor took over. It was terrifyingly terrific!!!!

I am hooked. And my 260# carcass fit just fine, thank you very much - My instructor teaches a fellow who is 325+# so I was not a burden to this aircraft.

Name:  EVEKTOR SPORT 9-9-17.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  90.3 KB
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 09-09-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Welcome to your new addiction!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    You are now a deflowered flyboy. Mazel Tov!! Prepare to become very, very poor.

I'm trying to understand your picture. Are you about to a)kiss the ground, b)throw up, c) put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye? A pic showing your newly gained excitement and exaltation would have been fun to see.

Let us know when you solo. You are about to do something that so very few do.

That is the instructor checking the fuel sump.

First impressions.... The Evektor with a Rotax 912 is very quiet. The cabin offered sufficient width so I didn't feel at all cramped. I quickly fell victim to sensory information overload but stayed calm enough to follow instructions and even attempt to keep the darn ball centered on turns - lol. Since I am an All the Gear cyclist I was wearing my usual heavy leather, Frankenstein thick soled boots, so I had very poor rudder feedback and in fact my right hoof was on the instructor's left rudder pedal/foot a few times. next time I'll drive out there in the Escape and wear sneakers.

Flight Sim experience at least let me know what the various dials did but not mimic the actual experience of slipping the surly bonds of Earth at all. After all the true excitement of a 'first' experience I left the field feeling that this old dog can indeed learn a new trick or two and I just might be able to learn to perform the miracle of flight.

Well, congrats. See, I told you you weren't too big to fly! Even with an extra few pounds of leather.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Congratulations Randy!! That is something I'd love to do, and then build a Zenith.

I've been saying exactly that for what seems like 'forever'. I sat around that tiny airport for a couple hours just chatting with a few folks and watching their two Evektors take up scheduled students. Pure serendipity on a Saturday cycle ride that I pulled in there. And something just clicked and I said to myself "If not NOW? When?" and I decided to spend the dough for a discovery flight. In my area $85 is actually a bargain. Most go for $150 and up.

I know a man not that far from Chicago maybe two hr drive from you, that charges 40 bucks for a discovery flight.

Tony

I don't worry too much about that ball thing. When I was going for my tail wheel endorsement I had a couple of instructors ask if I always fly without rudder and I'm like, oh yeah, that !
    Bob