Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superstition, intuition, and aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    During scuba training it was stressed to us that ANYONE has the right to call-off a dive for any or no reason without regret. Same for riding the motorcycle on any given day. IMHO NO hobby/pastime should become a matter of life or death.
    I worked in construction safety for over 20 years and the rule is: Anybody, ANYBODY has authority to stop work !
    Bob

My little voices only say "I want candy."

Seriously, I've gotten to the airport a number of times and chosen not to fly. But it is usually that the weather isn't what I expected or what was forecast. I've never cancelled due to a sense of unease.

I don't hear any actual voice, but I've certainly cancelled a few times, even after driving all the way to the hangar (it's 32 miles one way, takes about 50 minutes). Sometimes it's because the weather there isn't what I expected, but often enough, it's just a feeling that today's not the day.

Sometimes it's because one of my "hard and fast" personal rules can't be accommodated. I made the mistake of violating one of my personal "hard and fast" rules about a year ago, and that won't happen again. Here's the story:
    For VFR night flights, I've had a personal rule of not taking off unless the temp/dew point spread is at least 5 degrees and steady. On the night this happened, the temp/dew point was 4 degrees and steady, but otherwise it was a beautiful almost clear night--no moon, but the stars were out, with a few clouds visible. I wasn't going anywhere, just going to fill the night flying blocks, so I figured that if I was in the pattern, no big deal that it was a closer temp/dew point spread. I checked the AWOS several times on the drive over, still 4 degrees. After startup, I checked the AWOS again, still 4 degrees. As I taxied to the run-up area, I listened again, still 4 degrees. I did not check again after doing the run-up.

I took off, with my landing lights on. At about 200' AGL, I switched to Pulselights, but at about 400' AGL, I was suddenly blinded by the lights flashing as I entered a low cloud! I immediately switched to instruments, shut off the lights, and continued a climbing 180 degree turn to downwind, and about midfield came out of the cloud and immediately landed. Had I not popped out of the cloud, I would have continued climbing to the IAF altitude for the approaches to GXY and called Denver Approach for a clearance. Thankfully, I was very IFR current and proficient, as I'd just had a really good IPC only a few weeks earlier.

As I taxied in after landing, I listened to the AWOS. The temp/dew point spread had dropped to 2 degrees within those few short minutes. Had I listened to the AWOS just before taking off, it's likely it would have been 3 degrees, clearly narrowing, and I would have taxied back without taking off.

Most of the time, though, it's not been any personal minimums issue, just "this isn't right". Maybe it is age related--not wishing to cap a long time avocation with a smoking hole. Maybe it's because I stopped thinking I was invincible years ago. Who knows? But I honor that feeling and don't fly.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I don't hear any actual voice
    Well, yeah... "voice in the head" is a figure of speech. If I heard an actual "little voice in my head" I'd hang it up for good.

Dale "There's a voice in my head that drives my heel" B.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I dunno - I ONLY do what the voices in my head tell me to do - lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I dunno - I ONLY do what the voices in my head tell me to do - lol
    OK Randy, you know you're on their list now !!!

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas....:-)

Ron "Mmmm....ice cream" Wanttaja