Thread: Repairmans Certificate

Repairmans Certificate

Info on the web says you should apply for the RC at the time the plane is certified.

Has anyone received their certificate for their own EA-B aircraft when they applied AFTER the recommended time?

Could you apply even after you sold the plane?

Thanks in advance. -glen

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post
    Info on the web says you should apply for the RC at the time the plane is certified.

Has anyone received their certificate for their own EA-B aircraft when they applied AFTER the recommended time?

There is, AFAIK, no time limit for application. Only one person can ever get the RC for a given plane, but as long as no-one else has ever been issued an RC for the plane, you can apply. Whether you get it or not will depend on how well you can demonstrate knowledge of the particular aircraft. If you've sold it, that might end up being difficult. Can't hurt to try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post

Thanks in advance. -glen
    Obtained the Repairman's Certificate for my latest project the same month the first Condition Inspection came due. I can't think of any reg that would prevent you from applying even when you no longer own the aircraft. You will need to have the build log in your possession when you go for the interview.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 10-05-2017 at 06:54 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

EAA Staff
    FAA Advisory Circular 65-23A has the specific guidance on how to obtain a Repairman Certificate for Experimental Amateur-Built Aircraft. To access it, just search using AC 65-23A . You must be the builder of record/manufacturer to be eligible to obtain the RC, fill out the FAA Application Form 8610-2, and make an appointment at your local FAA Flight Standards Office. You may obtain the RC during the initial airworthiness inspection of your aircraft if the inspection is performed by an FAA employee (but not a DAR), or any time after the Airworthiness certificate has been issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hoversten View Post
    You may obtain the RC during the initial airworthiness inspection of your aircraft if the inspection is performed by an FAA employee (but not a DAR)
    One slight correction; The FAA inspector must be from a FSDO in order to issue the Repairman Certificate. A MIDO inspector or DAR cannot issue the certificate.
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hoversten View Post
    FAA Advisory Circular 65-23A has the specific guidance on how to obtain a Repairman Certificate for Experimental Amateur-Built Aircraft. To access it, just search using AC 65-23A . You must be the builder of record/manufacturer to be eligible to obtain the RC, fill out the FAA Application Form 8610-2, and make an appointment at your local FAA Flight Standards Office. You may obtain the RC during the initial airworthiness inspection of your aircraft if the inspection is performed by an FAA employee (but not a DAR), or any time after the Airworthiness certificate has been issued.
    Bingo! I would add one thing. My FSDO inspector was nice enough to meet me at my location, not the FSDO. It saved me a 200+ mile drive round trip, as my FSDO was not in my fly area at the time. Might not hurt to ask if that is an issue for you. Hope that helps. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org