Thread: National Parks Free!

National Parks Free!

Just saw on tv ALL national parks are free admission today. I dont know how many you can fly to, I know the Grand Canyon is one with airport next door, maybe you can fly right into Kitty Hawk which I think is national and should be. I have flown to visit Yellowstone and Yosemite (great) and recall some driving from the airport not sure how much. Wouldnt it be great if most parks had a runway right at the entrance? And I know this info may not help much if you didnt know it before but I just now saw it. If one is going, most places are likely to have good weather this time of year.

If you have a back country airplane, and permission, Ryan Field is very close to the west entrance to Glacier. And for us seniors, the $10 lifetime pass is going up soon to $80, if it hasn't already. ope that helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

It's been $80 since early September. I just made the $10 cutoff myself.

If you fly to KJAC, Jackson, WY, you will land inside Grand Teton National Park. Of course, until airport management does something about it, you'll also use one of the least GA friendly FBOs anywhere, with high prices, poor service, and the ability to make the average "little plane" flyer feel like the rejected stepchild kept in the woodshed out back. It wasn't always that way. There was a time when you could fly in, in your average 172 or PA28 (taking into account the surrounding rocks) and be treated with the same respect and courtesy as those disembarking from a GIII or IV.

If you can put up with the snobbishness at the airport, Jackson is a delightful town, with great shops, some super restaurants, and the scenery is marvelous. Considering the area, accommodations aren't out of line, either. If you want to spend $500/night, you can, but there are also sub-$100/night motels that are comfortable.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

As a 30 year resident in Jackson (actually Grand Teton) I can attest to how cool of a town Jackson is. I would also suggest trying Livingston, MT and driving in through the Gardiner entrance. Livingston is an awesome town that is BIG into outdoor activities if you are into that.
    Rick
    KLVM The town of Livingston
    and
    Gardiner, Mt. Right at the only year round gate to Yellowstone
    Last edited by wyoranch; 10-02-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    As a 30 year resident in Jackson (actually Grand Teton) I can attest to how cool of a town Jackson is. I would also suggest trying Livingston, MT and driving in through the Gardiner entrance. Livingston is an awesome town that is BIG into outdoor activities if you are into that.
    Rick
    KLVM The town of Livingston
    and
    Gardiner, Mt. Right at the only year round gate to Yellowstone
    We stayed overnight at Livingston just a few years back, in a little motel that was sort of log-cabinish--clean, pleasant, owned by an older couple--she was quite the photographer. Nice little town.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee