My insurance broker, Lance Toland near Atlanta, has owned and flown a DC-3 for a number of years. Last year at Osh there were about 25 flown in. Also the CAF at Burnet has operated one for years. One of the finest ones that I have seen is the one Continental restored to full airline passenger status some years back, flew it for a number of years and then donated it to the Lone Star Museum in Galveston. They have flown it, but don't think they do often.
I am surprised to see 5000 feet listed as a safe runway lenght. Perhaps that is true if it is a heavily loaded C-47, but I can't imagine a normal 3 flown by a good pilot needing that much.

I read a magazine article some years ago about a veteran of lot's of C-47 flying out on the west coast, maybe in Mexico also. He served a lot of areas with sort or unpaved strips, I think some were under 2000 feet. He said his procedure was to go up at altitude while enroute and do a stall or at least approach to a stall in landing configuration, and note the airspeed. This gave him the exact figure for that plane, that day , with that loaded weight, not just a general figure in a manual. Then he would add his 1.3 or 1.2 to give his final approach speed, and he had no problem landing in some out of the way places.
I am not sure, but I sort of recall him saying he made 3 point landings, as I say this has been a long time since I read it. I know you almost always see wheel landings in the DC-3. I have only a little time in them, wish I had a full rating. I really admire the 3, certainly the finest all around airplane ever built. And the proportions are great, it still looks like an airplane, not a space ship.