Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Transport from Chicago O'Hare

Public Transport from Chicago O'Hare

Hi,

I just wondered whether anyone knew if it was possible to get from Chicago O'Hare to Oshkosh via public transport?

In previous years I have rented a car, however I would like to avoid doing that if possible next year.

Many thanks

Chris

There's hourly bus service between O'Hare and Milwaukee Mitchell airport all year long
    https://web.coachusa.com/wisconsinco...areairport.asp

From there, another bus runs to the convention
    http://www.golamers.com/services/lam...nture-shuttle/
    That only runs twice a day though.

Check on just flying in to MKE. Rental cars MUCH cheaper, or, as noted above, just catch the shuttle. For a full week of convention, I want to say that there's about a $200 diff between ORD and MKE on the cars. BIG fees at ORD.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Chris, Looking at the two schedules, it could prove tough to do the bus thing as a 'same day'? Overnight in Milwaukee, bus next a.m.? No worries.

Are you staying someplace with public transportation access during AirVenture?

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies so far, I will certainly look at flights to MKE.

My plan was to stay at the University this year, I have previously gone for a hotel in Appleton or Green Bay but I hear good things about the University so thought I would try that.

Well, of course your mileage may vary and all that, but my wife and I stay in the dorms every single year since 2005. We stay in Taylor Hall, the a/c'd dorm, although there is a new dorm (Heritage? that doesn't sound right...) that goes for 3x taylor rate that is a/c'd, but will sleep (?) 4-6 and has their own bathroom. Also, UWO says more dorms will be a/c'd in 2018. The thing we like about the dorms is the city shuttle bus that takes you to the grounds non-stop and bypasses all of the cars trying to get into a lot. We travel on different schedules, and if you only have one car, makes it easier to let each person leave/return when they want to do so instead of having to wake my wife at 5:30 so I can catch the 7:00 AM bus. She does her own thing on the grounds - she's into the museum presentations, warbirds, DC-3's, etc, and I volunteer, check out homebuilding, technology, exhibits etc. Many days I don't even see her until suppertime! We have about 12 folks we dine with at a different restaurant each night. Fun times.....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

You can get the metro to downtown Chicago then Greyhound it but it is a pig of a journey. There are express coaches to Milwaukee then maybe a Greyhound from there. Personally I prefer to drive and have done so for the last 35 years or so and I'm English. I always avoid I-294/I-94 as I hate them so use 45/12 then 21 to Russell Road then onto I-41, very scenic drive and easy on the nerves and plenty of foodies..

Quote Originally Posted by shack42 View Post
    Personally I prefer to drive and have done so for the last 35 years or so and I'm English. I always avoid I-294/I-94 as I hate them so use 45/12 then 21 to Russell Road then onto I-41, very scenic drive and easy on the nerves and plenty of foodies..
    how long does that journey take? i was looking into alternatives to the tolls, and was contemplating the 41? ( i cant seem to follow your route on google maps ? )cheers mike
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Quote Originally Posted by biggles1998 View Post
    how long does that journey take? i was looking into alternatives to the tolls, and was contemplating the 41? ( i cant seem to follow your route on google maps ? )cheers mike
    If you take 45 north leaving ORD it joins up with 21 around the Palwaukee airport then follow 21 north which joins up to 41 around Six Flags. 50 ish miles of suburban city driving.....ummm 2.5 hrs ?

Highway 45 is also called Mannheim Road North. Exit car rental facilities, turn north and follow the airport road, airport should be on your left, all the way to the traffic lights, be in left turn lane as you turn north here. Keep going but beware of the weird one-way system in and around Des Plaines out and back and also Highway 12 disappears shortly afterwards then it is Hwy 45, if you are on the correct road the Metra tracks will be on your right, to Vernon Hills then switch to Hway 21 to Russell Road then onto I-41 (45 disappears to the NW in Vernon Hills) Watch for the lunatics on I-41 from Chicago - bit like NASCAR/dodgems at times. Coming back to ORD 21 is a left exit from 41 so be in that lane when you are a few miles S of Kenosha. Journey takes about 2 or 2 1/2 hours. Hope that this of some use.