Thread: Expermental / LSA Tire on Certified A/C

Expermental / LSA Tire on Certified A/C

Hi All,

I've been wanting to put larger tires on my Cessna 140 - not because I need them, I just think they look cool. But, the cost has discouraged me from pulling the trigger. I called Desser to see what my options are and they threw this out. I know it's not approved but I think it's safe. A LSA is only 80 pounds heavier that a 140 and I understand some of the larger experimentals (think Bearhawk and Super Cub clones) use them - apparently without problem. These are a LOT less expensive and weight around 5 pounds less (each) than the approved tires. What are your thoughts? Do you think not having a TSO stamp on tires is something someone doing a ramp check would look for?

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-a ... -ADEA9.asp

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    Hi All,

I've been wanting to put larger tires on my Cessna 140 - not because I need them, I just think they look cool. But, the cost has discouraged me from pulling the trigger. I called Desser to see what my options are and they threw this out. I know it's not approved but I think it's safe. A LSA is only 80 pounds heavier that a 140
    I don't follow the arithmetic. The difference in gross wt between an LSA and C-140 is 130 lbs with the Cessna being heavier. (That's excluding C-140A)

You can install 8.00-6 4 ply rating tires & tubes (approved airplane tires) with a logbook entry. It's in the aircraft specifications as an alternative configuration. Then you don't have to worry with hiding from the feds cause you have illegal tires on your plane.