Thread: Career as A&P. Good locations?

Career as A&P. Good locations?

Hello,

I just got out of the service as a avionics tech and want to continue my career however I need to go to school and get my A&P. I was wondering if any A&Ps out there could tell me where there are schools with decent job prospects in the same area so I could find full time work without having to relocate again once I finish the programs. Anything on the east coast into the central states and as far as Colorado I would consider. I have forum access to Aircraft Mechanic.org but for some reason I can't make any posts, figured this would be another good place to try. Thanks!

Where do you live now? Where do you want to live? The best payback is going to be with the airlines. Apply now - you'll probably land a conditional job offers before you are out of school.

I live in Newark Delaware. This area is too expensive for me, I'd like to move to a much cheaper area. I'm very flexible, I just want to go where opportunity is and I can settle down for a few years. Tired of moving around constantly and not owning a home.

As for airlines I would have thought those to be the worst because of how much major work has been outsourced to China and El Salvador.

I would use one of the online directories that list Part 147 A&P schools by state or region, find one I like and apply. I don't know if you want to obtain college credit in the process or not so that might affect your decision.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up avionics tech on the BLS. They have several charts, graphs and other info by region so you can see what area of the US offers the most opportunity. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes492091.htm

Jesse, if money is tight for going to A&P school, I would suggest you check out or apply for a job at a Certified Repair Station. You do not need an A&P to work there if your qualifications meet the requirements of their certificate. You will more than likely wind up working with their A&P's gaining more valuable knowledge and skills than what you will learn in school and can eventually get an A&P ticket that way. I got my A&P years ago that way.

Pima Community College in Tucson has a top rated aviation mechanics program. The graduates go straight to work out of the program. Lots of aviation industries in AZ also. Hope that helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Whallon.jesse welcome to being a veteran.

Don't they do separation seminars any more? That's where we got briefed for transition to civland three decades ago when I got out. Your military training may be enough to qualify for taking the "A" test (after a bit of weekend ground school like https://www.apfastrack.com/about-us) and getting a stand-alone "A" certificate. With the current job market for avionics you might just get a good job doing what you're skilled at and you can add the "P" at your leisure to increase marketability later.

Might want to contact a career counselor from your service (or somebody like http://www.airframeandpowerplant.com/mil.htm) for current information.

Just a thought.

Hey Jesse, do you have a GROL? Could probably go to work right away as an avionics tech. Most avionics shops are hiring right now due to demand for ADS-B installs.

We live in Oklahoma City. My son in law went to Metro Tech Vo-Tech to their A&P school, 18 month program. He had a job at Tinker Air Force Base, right here in OKC before he was completely finished with school. It started as an internship and "rolled over" into full time.

This isn't quite what you asked, but I'd seriously consider deciding generally where in the country you want to live, and then see if there's an appropriate school nearby. While it's true that some people can be happy anywhere, it's easier to be happy if you like where you live.

I'm a bit biased, but I love living in northern Colorado. I'm not one of those "I'm here, close and bar the gate" people (although I admit that growth has its downsides, too), so I'd invite you to give it some thought. As it happens, I know that there are plenty of potential A&P jobs in the Denver area and in the cities north of Denver, and there are several A&P schools in the Denver area as well. Northern Colorado isn't the least expensive place to live (Denver itself and some of its suburbs can be pretty pricey), but it's not the most expensive, either.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee