Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Sport

Light Sport

Am I in the right forum? I've been thinking about re-instating my 3rd class medical, not denied, just expired for years. I have some medical problems that would require "Special Issuance", ooooooohhhhhhhh, sacry ! Well it is, and it's probably going to be expensive so I have also been thinking about just continuing flying L/S. So much so that I may sell what I've built on the CH-701 and just buy a used L/S. I learned in a 150 and have time in a 172 and I am completely comfortable in both, only they aren't L/S. I do have my tail wheel endorsement and fly a Champ on occasion, so a L/S aircraft that would carry 2 people and cruise around 80 mph would work, a little faster would be fine also but I know I won't be going anywhere in a hurry. I figure after selling the 701 stuff and my motorcycle I could at least get close to 12 grand with my meager savings. I know there are 2 seat Kolbs, Flight stars, Titan Tornados and other more expensive stuff like, KitFox, Avids but I know I'm probably missing some good stuff too. So, if this is the right forum then suggestions please. If it's not the right one, just steer me to it !
    Bob

Hello Bob,

How long ago was it that you held a 3rd class medical? If it was on or after July 15th, 2006, then you would have the option of using the new "BasicMed" program. This would allow you to fly the Cessnas that you are familiar with. You can find all the info you need on BasicMed by going to the following EAA web page:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...esource-center
    Cheers!

Joe

Unfortunately Joe it was late '70's. I got my PPL in '74 and after a few years of flying, life got in the way. I started back about 5 years ago getting in a flight when I could until I finally got my tail wheel endorsement. After that I flew pretty regularly, but now that I'm kind of retired ( 71 tomorrow) I don't have my "Rat Hole Stash" to do the extra things I used to do. When I was working I got per diem and that's what I lived on while on the road working and paid for my extra curricular activities, flying, guns, ammo and fly ins. I'm not opposed to going back to work, the jobs usually last from a few weeks to several months and lots of overtime ! My wife, who's 15 years younger wants me to stay home because she says that out of the soon to be 29 years we've been married, I have been away at least 10 years of that. I don't know if I can ever finish the 701 so I'm looking to just be able to fly while I still can.
    Bob

If you can only afford Light Sport, why ask about a medical?

I have access to a 172 for fuel cost if I had my medical.
    Bob

Can't beat paying just fuel cost!
    With access to a 172 for passenger flights you don't need to build or own a two seater. So build or buy a one seater. Or Ultralight.

So... IF you can get a third class medical one time, you're all set. Find an AME, and arrange a consultation with him or her to determine IF you could, for sure, get a medical or not, or if you need an SI how certain it is you'd get it. DON'T even think about actually starting the process until you know for certain that you'll pass... because if you get denied, you can't fly Light Sport or anything else, other than ultralights. Maybe balloons? Gliders? I don't know about those if you've been denied a medical, and it doesn't matter if you want to travel anywhere.

12K is a good start, but not going to get you into most LSAs. But it will buy you part of a nice airplane. You might want to find one or more like minded people and become part owner or start a flying club.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Oh, I will definitely make sure Dale before I commit to it, ain't going down that road, life's to short. I'm taking my time about getting the necessary paper work so "IF" I decide to go for it, I shouldn't have to jump through my lower posterior at the last minute. There may be the possibility of buying into something like an Ercoupe or I could swing a Challenger or CGS Hawk my self. It seems a little crazy that I can drive a 20,000 lb RV down the interstate at 75 mph, blind in one eye, with no training while eating a sandwich but the weight difference between a Cessna 150 and Light Sport is a deal breaker. Oh well.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    It seems a little crazy that I can drive a 20,000 lb RV down the interstate at 75 mph, blind in one eye, with no training while eating a sandwich but the weight difference between a Cessna 150 and Light Sport is a deal breaker. Oh well.
    Bob
    Dude... do NOT get me started on that. Please, you really don't want to hear it. Let's just say the rules don't have to make any sense, they just "are".
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

LSA rules were designed to accomplish a goal and being consistent with motor vehicle rules was not one of them.