Thread: Sadly, Cirrus Accident Friday

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cary, I agree its sad and didint have to happen, But not that going way north would have been the only safe way. The route he took is fine. I have come from Loveland ( used to have my annuals at Ft. Collins Downtown for 20 years or so) over Corona Pass, just south of Granby to Kremling on to Eagle hundreds of times, and this was the first part of his route. Corona is about 12,000 and after than you can fly most of the way at 10,500, 12,500 would have cleared all. No need to be "snaking through the rocks", like if driving . You fly over them, day or night. Just like going east over Corona, be at 13,5 or above, dont be down low and "snaking" through Berthoud Pass, which is lower but narrow. Now bad weather is another matter, and its possible even likley that the weather was ok up until Eagle. A total prohibition of any night flying over mountains is pretty rigid so many pilots may disregard it. It can be a clear moonlit night, smooth and beautiful, but on a dark night with clouds its gets critical.I wish I had been in the FBO when he was gettiing ready to leave, I would have said something like lets look at the weather, dont know if he'd have listened or not, but Id be a little forward if it prevented a lot of sadness.
    Aviation gives but it can take away so much, more than almost any other fun thing to do. You get banged up playing football ,even a concussion, and ski racing and knee surgeries are routine but not fatal and not for a family.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-30-2017 at 10:28 PM.