Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A75 w/o alternator or starter. How difficult to put those in?

A75 w/o alternator or starter. How difficult to put those in?

I have a chance to purchase a home-built plane. It has no electrical system. It has an A75 engine with no generator/alternator and no starter. How difficult is it to place those in? I'd have such work reviewed someone more knowledgeable than I. Pointers to manuals and such welcome!

Thanks in advance.

There are no bosses on the case to mount either a charging system or a starter. That's not to say it can't be done, as I have seen several A series engines modified to accept a starter and/or alternator. If this is the plane you want, I would suggest a C-85 with alternator and starter. However, the alternator, starter, battery, wiring, breakers, etc adds up to a lot of weight on a low powered plane. That's often times why the plane was built without electrics. You might find that after adding all that stuff, your nimble little homebuilt has turned into an overweight dog.

There's an STC for a starter that uses a battery driven drill as the starter motor plus some mechanical components to make the spinny bits go round.

It apparently works, but is an aesthetic nightmare.

You could install a wind generator instead of an alternator to make electrons. But you'd still have to charge the 18V drill batteries off-line.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 12-21-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    There's an STC for a starter it uses a battery driven drill as the starter motor plus some mechanical components to make the spinny bits go round.

It apparently works, but is an aesthetic nightmare.
    Kyle's referring to the Hamp Starter system. More details at:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fe...arter_for_A65s

Continental made different models of its small engines. Some include an accessory case, which is used to provide an interface for a starter and generator.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 09-16-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Continental made different models of its small engines. Some include an accessory case, which is used to provide an interface for a starter and generator.
    The A75 with a -8 suffix does not have provisions for generator or starter adapter.

Harold Hamp passed away in 2015 - is his starter STC still active?

Thanks much for the information. I appreciate the insights.

A65-9 came with a starter not sure about the generator. I have in the past seen this rear case for sale for the starter for the a65- 9 engine.

If he's dead, while the STC may still be alive, the PMA (if he ever got one) is surely dead. PMAs aren't just paper that can be transferred in business transaction. They are issued to a specific manufacturing entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
    ...It has no electrical system.... how difficult is it to place those in?
    Why? Save yourself transponder and ads-b out and periodic maintenance costs by not installing a generator. Most stuff you want to use will work fine on battery power for the length of time you'll normally fly. If not, higher capacity battery. Starter, great, it will pump at least a few starts on a preflight charge. If not, see previous solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Why? Save yourself transponder and ads-b out and periodic maintenance costs by not installing a generator. Most stuff you want to use will work fine on battery power for the length of time you'll normally fly. If not, higher capacity battery. Starter, great, it will pump at least a few starts on a preflight charge. If not, see previous solution.
    Mike's got the right of it, here. I'm contemplating building a new Fly Baby without an electrical system, because it'd be cheaper than ADS-B (assuming I re-use engine and hardware from my current one). Install a starter, recharge the battery occasionally.

Ron Wanttaja