Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airplane Reposession Story, Valid?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Schneider View Post
    Paid Actors can be nice people, too....
    Absolutely, was never implying otherwise. Was just reminding about the nature and format of this show.

That's the main reason I don't watch "airplane" shows. There's too much BS that I know better, and like was posted earlier, I feel dumber when/if I do.
    I will, however, watch a documentary.

I love a documentary but agree, most, if not all reality shows are too staged. Case in point, Michael "Bear" Grylls, while desending the side of a ravine by climbing down tree roots next to a water fall, he's talking to the camera about how dangerous it is. What about the poor camera man, he's doing the same thing only he's filming while doing it !!! LOL! I'm sure at the end of the day they all go across the hill to the Marriott ! I wish someone would produce a reality show about real people building and flying there own aircraft.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I love a documentary but agree, most, if not all reality shows are too staged. Case in point, Michael "Bear" Grylls, while desending the side of a ravine by climbing down tree roots next to a water fall, he's talking to the camera about how dangerous it is. What about the poor camera man, he's doing the same thing only he's filming while doing it !!! LOL!
    Reminds me of the old line about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Astaire was the more-famous dancer, but Rogers did everything he did, except backwards in high heels.

I wish someone would produce a reality show about real people building and flying there own aircraft.
    You might remember the "Junkyard Wars" TV series, where two teams were assigned a project to build, then sent into a junkyard to find all the components and build the project in the same day. They'd then complete head-to-head the next day.

They had an airplane-building episode once, with the teams led by Chuck Slusarczyk of CGS and Facetmobile creator Barnaby Wainfan. You might check it out.

Mind you, the inside dope on what REALLY went on was enough to sour one on reality shows forever......

That "Aircraft Restoration" British series had a nice episode on the construction of a Fokker DR-1 replica....

Ron Wanttaja

<*snip*> I wish someone would produce a reality show about real people building and flying there own aircraft.
    Bob
    Many years ago (?10?) there was a show on the now-defunct Wings channel about a guy in the UK who built a Europa. Fairly interesting, but it's been too long for me to remember the details.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

They had an airplane-building episode once, with the teams led by Chuck Slusarczyk of CGS and Facetmobile creator Barnaby Wainfan. You might check it out.
    As I recall Wainfan had a mini meltdown over that one. There was a subsequent episode where three teams built airplanes and they brought Chuck back as a judge.

[QUOTE=rwanttaja;65799]Reminds me of the old line about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Astaire was the more-famous dancer, but Rogers did everything he did, except backwards in high heels.

You might remember the "Junkyard Wars" TV series, where two teams were assigned a project to build, then sent into a junkyard to find all the components and build the project in the same day. They'd then complete head-to-head the next day.

Mind you, the inside dope on what REALLY went on was enough to sour one on reality shows forever......

That "Aircraft Restoration" British series had a nice episode on the construction of a Fokker DR-1 replica....

Ron Wanttaja[/QUOT
    I remember those episodes Ron, and isn't it amazing that a junk yard would have everything you needed to build airplanes, boats, dune buggies and tanks, moon rovers, cannons, trebuchets and on and on and on !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    As I recall Wainfan had a mini meltdown over that one. There was a subsequent episode where three teams built airplanes and they brought Chuck back as a judge.
    Every successful aircraft/spacecraft designer I have met has had a high degree of confidence in their own abilities. Depending on their ability to socialize it, this can sometimes manifest itself a bit abrasively. They will express their opinions, sometimes forcefully. My only management spot in a 40-year engineering career was to be, basically, the "human interface" for a genius lead engineer who just rubbed everyone the wrong way.

Barnaby (who I once called the "Harlan Ellison of aviation writing") and Chuck are both brilliant designers...but Chuck has a "good old boy" persona that tends to put people at ease.

I remember those episodes Ron, and isn't it amazing that a junk yard would have everything you needed to build airplanes, boats, dune buggies and tanks, moon rovers, cannons, trebuchets and on and on and on !
    Bob
    Everyone knows the crawl space under my house is a better source....

Ron "Where's that Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator?" Wanttaja

In all fairness, a huge part of the problem with shows (regardless of topic) is the editing for maximum drama.

They'll film eight hours of people interacting and cherry pick moments as needed to develop the narrative they want, and select music to match.

Flying Wild Alaska had some of that, making Ariel look like a terrible student pilot (when if one pays attention it just wasn't so) for example.

And Ice Road Truckers made 15 or 25 kph sound like they were on the straight away at Talladega and hammering it down.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

There's nothing much "real" about "reality" shows, whether it has to do with the Kardashians, ice road truckers, "survivors" (whether clothed or naked), airplanes, Alaskan bush people, or the "real" wives of wherever. Why people watch such trash past the first episode is beyond me. But unfortunately in this house, if there were a meter on the TVs to keep track of such trash, it would be pegged. And yeah, I used to be guilty, watching the flying shows, but mercifully they seem to have gone off the air. Not so with the other trash, which still gets watched by certain members of the family (not me!).

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee