Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: What the fourum should b and could be

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Ya, I was ticked that one got the boot. The title was "What does anyone know about nuclear bombs". Bill's been face timing with Kimmy. :>). We and others replied with some damn good stuff! Bill thought that this was aviation related because of the bombs delivery systems. We pointed out a different opinion.
    I kind of thought that was Bill begging the mod's to suspend his posting privileges. Nuke him, in essence. The mod's here exercise a lot of restraint.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 09-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The unsaid issue is that these off-topic threads are often controversial subjects (politics, war, global threats, foreign policy, fiscal policy, etc) which inevitably (by design?) turn into food fights in the forum. Those food fights ultimately polarize a bunch of airplane guys along the lines of liberal/conservative, republican/democrat, religious/agnostic, etc. At that point everything turns into a fight because "We don't agree on politics, so I'm gonna disagree with anything you post because I don't like your political viewpoint."
    Spot on and well said. However, and this is very self-indulgent, would the forum allow me to get off just one shot every 2 weeks or per month against that "art of the deal" guy. It's really good for my mental and emotional well-being and acts as a coping mechanism. Please consider, thanks.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The unsaid issue is that these off-topic threads are often controversial subjects (politics, war, global threats, foreign policy, fiscal policy, etc) which inevitably (by design?) turn into food fights in the forum. Those food fights ultimately polarize a bunch of airplane guys along the lines of liberal/conservative, republican/democrat, religious/agnostic, etc. At that point everything turns into a fight because "We don't agree on politics, so I'm gonna disagree with anything you post because I don't like your political viewpoint."
    I started a thread on exercise so we may fly longer or for a longer period of time as we age. Try to find it. Censorship at its best. I say it depends on who you are if they censor you. Now I understand the man I met at an safety seminar. All these people were sitting together at one table then this one man was all alone at another table. i walked up and sat down and asked why he was at this table all alone. He said I quote, with what I fly I am not welcome at that table. I thought he was full of Cr#p. But no I see he was not.

    While taking instructions or flight lessons my CFI came over the intercom and told me, not everyone is welcome as pilots in the sky. It is a elite group who they choose to let in. Again I thought he was nuts.

    Today I see these two men hit the nail on the head or spoke true. Fly in the bottom ring where everyone flies over your head and they believe just that. They are over your head in both the airplane and in life. They are above you.

    This is the problem and not off topic threads. If you don't like someone beat on them long enough until the Mods pull their posts. Simple way to remove the unwanted. At one time I wanted to shout from the roof tops that I aviate. Not so much today. The members or other aviators have taken the wind out of those sails. Other things in life to do with out all this flack.

    Tony

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I started a thread on exercise so we may fly longer or for a longer period of time as we age. Try to find it. Censorship at its best. I say it depends on who you are if they censor you. Now I understand the man I met at an safety seminar. All these people were sitting together at one table then this one man was all alone at another table. i walked up and sat down and asked why he was at this table all alone. He said I quote, with what I fly I am not welcome at that table. I thought he was full of Cr#p. But no I see he was not.

    While taking instructions or flight lessons my CFI came over the intercom and told me, not everyone is welcome as pilots in the sky. It is a elite group who they choose to let in. Again I thought he was nuts.

    Today I see these two men hit the nail on the head or spoke true. Fly in the bottom ring where everyone flies over your head and they believe just that. They are over your head in both the airplane and in life. They are above you.

    This is the problem and not off topic threads. If you don't like someone beat on them long enough until the Mods pull their posts. Simple way to remove the unwanted. At one time I wanted to shout from the roof tops that I aviate. Not so much today. The members or other aviators have taken the wind out of those sails. Other things in life to do with out all this flack.

    Tony
    I'm not doubting that for whatever reason or circumstance or where you have happened to be, that you have experienced some form of dismissal and discrimination within a certain aviation community on the basis of what you fly. That's disgraceful. Discrimination does rear it's ugly head in all facits of life and activity unfortunately.

    You say "it depends on who you are if [the Mods] censor you." That's a mighty leap and an exaggeration to equate EAA forum posts getting deleted with class distinction/elitism as you have suggested. You come to this overall, over arching conclusion based on a few anecdotal examples. You continue by stating "an elite group who they[whoever they are] choose to let in" and " where everyone flies over your head" and "they are over your head in both airplane and life." Bill Greenwood would qualify here in accordance with your thinking and attitude. Bill Greenwood is also a perfect example to illustrate my point that your premise is a gross generalization and falsehood.

    You see, Bill owns a Beechcraft Bonanza and an extremely rare 2 place Spitfire. He has also owned or flown other Warbirds. I'm sure you would agree, based on your premise, that this places him in rarified air, the elite of the elite in the aviation community. And yet the Mods have no problem deleting his posts and threads when they are not aviation related.

    Tony, if your premise is correct, please tell me how this is possible? How do you explain this?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The unsaid issue is that these off-topic threads are often controversial subjects (politics, war, global threats, foreign policy, fiscal policy, etc) which inevitably (by design?) turn into food fights in the forum. Those food fights ultimately polarize a bunch of airplane guys along the lines of liberal/conservative, republican/democrat, religious/agnostic, etc. At that point everything turns into a fight because "We don't agree on politics, so I'm gonna disagree with anything you post because I don't like your political viewpoint."
    Sounds like a lot of EAA Chapters ! ! !

    What makes a good forum is a lot of participants, a lot of [on topic] discussion, a lot of opinions and since airplanes are hands-on, a lot of pictures that say "lookie what I did today!" Based on the number of members and size of EAA, I'm surprised the forums are not more popular than they are.

  6. #16
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I started a thread on exercise so we may fly longer or for a longer period of time as we age. Try to find it. Censorship at its best. I say it depends on who you are if they censor you.
    I think the issue here on the EAA forums is that Bill consistently creates off-topic threads. Some are political in nature (nuclear weapons, North Korea, prominent politicians) others are just out of left field...the Indianapolis 500 car race, or a TV show he watched last night. He uses ridiculous excuses to justify them...such as claiming nuclear weapons were on-topic because aircraft can carry them. By that logic, anything but the Empire State Building and the Grand Canyon are fair game.

    I don't see anyone else doing that. Here's the last 20 or so on Hangar Talk that weren't started by Bill:

    • I am a flight 'virgin' no more!
    • Don't make this Mistake. Emergency Freq
    • VIDEO: Turboprop Heavies - STOL in the Grass! AOPA Norman Fly-in
    • Doc
    • Equifax data breech
    • Should we Still Teach Old Tech???
    • Video: AOPA Fly-in - Norman, Oklahoma
    • What flight/engine instruments do we really need?
    • What's Your Plan? Building a GA Survival Pack
    • Wink JetBlue Turns Pilot Recruitment on it's Head.
    • Aerotech Engines Limited in Canada ??
    • VFR panel ideas ??
    • Question Operational Limitations (EAB)
    • Anyone needing to us eAPIS
    • Rocket science
    • When is a Medical Certificate Required ?
    • Developing your cockpit safety procedures
    • Flying during the eclipse...
    • Cons of the Garmin g3x


    Other than the Equifax one (started by a new participant...not really his fault), these all are solidly aviation-based. And even the Equifax one was closed, not deleted, by the Moderator.

    Bill DOES start on-topic posts. And no one complains or criticizes when he does, and even those he complains about participate. Heck, even my response to his deleted nuclear-weapons thread was nothing more than a straight answer to his question.

    So the claim that new topics only get deleted due to "who you are" seems a bit weak.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Now I understand the man I met at an safety seminar. All these people were sitting together at one table then this one man was all alone at another table. i walked up and sat down and asked why he was at this table all alone. He said I quote, with what I fly I am not welcome at that table. I thought he was full of Cr#p. But no I see he was not.

    While taking instructions or flight lessons my CFI came over the intercom and told me, not everyone is welcome as pilots in the sky. It is a elite group who they choose to let in. Again I thought he was nuts.

    Today I see these two men hit the nail on the head or spoke true. Fly in the bottom ring where everyone flies over your head and they believe just that. They are over your head in both the airplane and in life. They are above you.
    Back when Sport Pilot was proposed, there was opposition at my home airport. Pilots were complaining there'd be all sorts of new flyers and airplanes. They didn't want the airport to get busy.

    And you don't have to tell the owner of a single-seat wooden airplane that there's stratification in aviation... :-)

    Ron "Why do I always get parked by the porta-potties" Wanttaja

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Floats, do you really believe I have posted "child porn" or that anyone else has on the forum? Or that Im trying to? If so please give me the quote or photo of mine. I have lots of magazines, but they are mostly about airplanes with maybe a football or skiing one or national news also. Ive never written or advocated about those topics way over a legal line.
    Im especially surprised to see something so negative and so far off any topic that we are talking about from you of all people, since you have sent me several P M s in support of topics I wrote, like yours of 8-08. The big controversy last week was about equifax, not started by me and seemed to be doing fine with EAA ( Sam) until critics jumped on it. If I had to do over. I'd just ignore the critics. leave it up to Sam, But I met Randy briefly at Osh and can see that he is a volunteer and just trying to help folks with the credit info. He wasnt trying to sell anything or profit, and yes credit cards are a part of EAA just like tents or insurance or rental cars, both of which are in the brochure EAA sends out. EAA offers "Cash rewards Visa Signature card". The Equifax topic was not mine, but I did post a similar one a few months back when a friend had I D theft.Again, hard as it may be to believe, I was trying to be helpful, not selling anything. Even if you took the narrow view that credit cards are not related to EAA, or Airventure or flying, neither mine nor Randy's topic would do any harm. If you buy all your gas by cash as well as hotels,meals, EAA membership etc. then just ignore the topic. I dont think you can even use a self serve pump with only cash? If you never use milage points for travel or know someone who does then the topic was not for you. There are people who dont have a credit or debit card. but Is bet a $1000 that there were more credit cards at Osh than even tents or airplanes. Why else would EAA be marketing to our members?
    Its not a matter of one specific topic, what I think EAA and this forum should be is a friendly place, just like Osh where lots of different people seem to get along fine. If my Mountain Flying forum there is not your interest there are lots of other things to do. Its evident that the spirit of friendship and all being welcome, is not how some people see the forum. Sort of reminds me of when I go to the park, I see lots of dogs running happily, but there are always a few people upset unless every dog is on a leash.
    P S, 1600 , I liked your topic about biking, think it could have stayed, no harm done. And just like tents I have seen others write about where to get cheap bikes at Osh, etc.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-16-2017 at 11:00 AM.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Floats, do you really believe I have posted "child porn" or that anyone else has on the forum? Or that Im trying to?
    Yes Bill, yes I do! My answer is as bizarre, twisted and insane as your questions. WTF are you talking about. This and the rest of your rambling and incoherent post makes me concerned for your health and safety when you are flying.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Floats your post #5 on this topic list that and other exceptions to free speech and none of them, Hate speech, blackmail, seem logcal to this forum,. Is that your post or not? And if I seems "rambling and incoherent" maybe you arent familar with the brochure EAA puts out with credit cards etc, items in it. Anyway, I appreciated your two P Ms, from 5-11 and 8-08, agreeing with my topics, didnt mean to embarass you by mentioning them if that is the case,and why youve changed your response from supportive to hostile. And the forum asks to avoid profanity, even if the initials.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-16-2017 at 04:49 PM.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Hey Bill,

    Not all speech is free speech.

    Here's a little primer on your First Amendment with respect to free speech...from a Canadian no less. It states, "Congress shall make no law....abridging the freedom of speech..." CONGRESS not EAA or any other entity. Huge difference.

    Furthermore the last 241 years of case law and Supreme Court interpretations says there are types of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment. In no particular order they are:

    Obscenity
    Defamation-libel and slander
    Certain fighting words
    Child porn
    Hate speech
    Perjury
    Incitement to lawless action
    True threats
    Blackmail
    Solicitation to commit crimes
    Verbal Treason
    Plagiarism of copyrighted material

    I think what you're advocating falls under # 7. (Just a joke :>) )

    So EAA and every other entity can unfortunately restrict your freedom of speech which is not exactly guaranteed under the First Amendment. How 'bout that!
    So, is that your post ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •