Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight options that can be trailered easily?

Ultralight options that can be trailered easily?

I've always been an aviation enthusiast and I'm very interested in getting into ultralight flying. I'm having a hard time finding a good resource regarding planes that can be trailered easily. I have multiple small airports in my area and the option to trailer to one of these, roll the plane off the trailer and be on my way in a few minutes is very attractive. But I have a few questions...

1. Do airports typically charge for this type of thing?
    2. What about taking off from rural public places like parks? (I must admit I've seen totally empty parks with a big grass area and thought...I bet you could easily take off and land there)
    3. Which planes have folding wings and are 103 legal?

I really like the Kolb Firefly. But anything along the same lines that can be folded up quickly to transport I'd be interested in. I know many ultralights can be transported but I don't want to take an hour to put the wings on and another hour to take them back off after flying.

Also any good info about ultralight flying would be greatly appreciated. If and when this becomes a reality I plan on getting proper instruction. I'm not a fan of the "strap in and hope for the best" option. I'm just beginning this journey but I caught the bug years ago when my uncle let me take the controls of his Piper Cherokee. I've been hooked ever since. Thanks!

Valley Engineering makes a legal Part 103 called "Backyard Flyer" which has a cantilever wing that swings to align with the craft's longitudinal axis when not flying. Setup and breakdown seems to be very fast, ~10 minutes. Not sure of how popular they are.

You are correct, it would take a real die hard to spend 2+ hrs in setup every time they want to fly for 20 min.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Valley Engineering makes a legal Part 103 called "Backyard Flyer" which has a cantilever wing that swings to align with the craft's longitudinal axis when not flying. Setup and breakdown seems to be very fast, ~10 minutes. Not sure of how popular they are.

You are correct, it would take a real die hard to spend 2+ hrs in setup every time they want to fly for 20 min.
    Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I remember seeing that one before so it's definitely a possibility.

Just watched a YouTube video of one doing take-offs and landings. Take off average was only 120 feet!

Keep in mind that not all airports allow ultralights. if there's one you plan to fly from, check its rules.

Also, if the airport has a level of physical security, you won't be able to enter freely. It may require a gate code (easy to get from a friend) or an access card. The airport may not be willing to give vehicle access to non-tenants. You might have to rent a tie down spot.

Ron Wanttaja

Folding takes a much bigger trailer and truck to pull it.
    Removable wings fit in a small custom trailer. An ultralight only weighs 254 or less. So decide what you want. Light and open 4 foot wide trailer, or heavy enclosed 8 wide trailer, etc.

I believe the MiniMax has easy removal wings that can be done with one person.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Folding takes a much bigger trailer and truck to pull it.
    Removable wings fit in a small custom trailer. An ultralight only weighs 254 or less. So decide what you want. Light and open 4 foot wide trailer, or heavy enclosed 8 wide trailer, etc.
    Thank you for this, that's not something I had considered. I like the idea of a lighter and smaller trailer for sure. However an enclosed trailer can act as a sort of "hanger on wheels". If I go with the smaller trailer and removal wings I'd still need a place to store the plane when not in use.

With that said does anyone know of options that have easily removable wings instead of folding?

But an "8 foot wide hanger on wheels" is no better than a 8' hanger on skids in your yard to park the loaded trailer.
    My plan is to back the open trailer into the hanger on skids behind my house.
    The reason is that an open trailer is easier to load and unload and secure the parts at the airport.

Check out YouTube, I have seen some pretty ingenious trailers people have built. If you build an enclosed trailer you could actually have the sides open up for easy access. Just a thought.
    Bob

I saw that the Kolb Firefly is disassembleable (that's a real word...I don't make stuff up!).

One video a guy had one on a trailer neatly packaged. It did appear to take quite some time to reassemble though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk