Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone from the EAA explain to me why they don't support the IAC????

Good one Ron. (the farmer joke)

Oh ok, the arestied one was good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Oleson View Post
    The reason the US Nationals in Oshkosh are not being promoted (or on the EAA Calendar of Events) is because it's not a public spectator event. Events on our calendar are designed to promote activities that our members can either participate in or watch. The IAC U.S. National Championships are neither. That's not to say people couldn't stand at Wittman Regional Airport and watch, but the event itself is not designed for spectators.
    Huh, you might think that the EAA members might actually be interested. Which goes to show how the EAA is not even trying to support the IAC, they don't even want to bother to tell the EAA members. We are not talking about inviting everyone, but you are hiding it from EAA members.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

I also read the Biplane Forum... lots of IAC competitors over there. I don't get too deep into it, but I get the impression they're fine with not having a bunch of spectators. I mean, it's not like IAC does a lot of advertising or publicity.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I also read the Biplane Forum... lots of IAC competitors over there. I don't get too deep into it, but I get the impression they're fine with not having a bunch of spectators. I mean, it's not like IAC does a lot of advertising or publicity.
    You can't advertise to the general public. It moves the FAA paperwork from section 5 to 6 and that requires a lot more paperwork, security, first aid plans. You CAN advertise to MEMBERS and since the IAC is "owned" by the EAA, you could easily invite EAA members. But the EAA does not. In fact, this year they pretty much have put barriers in place to prevent spectators.
    1986 Pitts S1S

That's correct. If the event were advertised to the public it could be construed as an air show, which is a much *much* bigger deal to the FAA. There are other reasons as well, such as insurance considerations. And as Ron W pointed out, the sport itself is not designed around spectator satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    You can't advertise to the general public. It moves the FAA paperwork from section 5 to 6 and that requires a lot more paperwork, security, first aid plans. You CAN advertise to MEMBERS and since the IAC is "owned" by the EAA, you could easily invite EAA members. But the EAA does not. In fact, this year they pretty much have put barriers in place to prevent spectators.
    EAA is huge, I am sure the FAA would take the position advertising to EAA is the general public unless EAA took extensive measures to ensure only members will be present. that adds a whole lot of cost and management headaches.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    EAA is huge, I am sure the FAA would take the position advertising to EAA is the general public unless EAA took extensive measures to ensure only members will be present. that adds a whole lot of cost and management headaches.

Tim
    You are aware that they are ALREADY requiring you to register just to watch... Right? How much more could they do?
    1986 Pitts S1S