Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone from the EAA explain to me why they don't support the IAC????

Can someone from the EAA explain to me why they don't support the IAC????

You may not know, but the World Championships are going on right now in South Africa... I say you might not know because the EAA website has not a single mention of it....

And you may also not know that the US Nationals will be held this month in Oshkosh. You would be forgiven for not knowing because the EAA's calendar of events does not even list it AT ALL even though the IAC is supposed to be part of the EAA and the EVENT IS BEING HELD AT THE EAA HQ!!!!!

So, why is it that the EAA just ignores the IAC?
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    You may not know, but the World Championships are going on right now in South Africa... I say you might not know because the EAA website has not a single mention of it....

And you may also not know that the US Nationals will be held this month in Oshkosh. You would be forgiven for not knowing because the EAA's calendar of events does not even list it AT ALL even though the IAC is supposed to be part of the EAA and the EVENT IS BEING HELD AT THE EAA HQ!!!!!

So, why is it that the EAA just ignores the IAC?
    What is IAC?

Tim

Banned
    International Aerobatic Club.

Ssmdive, you have a case that certainly deserves an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    International Aerobatic Club.

Ssmdive, you have a case that certainly deserves an answer.
    I should have put that in green. I was being a smart a**.
    Never knew it was affiliated with EAA though. But yeah, that is a good question.

Tim

EAA Staff / Moderator
    The reason the US Nationals in Oshkosh are not being promoted (or on the EAA Calendar of Events) is because it's not a public spectator event. Events on our calendar are designed to promote activities that our members can either participate in or watch. The IAC U.S. National Championships are neither. That's not to say people couldn't stand at Wittman Regional Airport and watch, but the event itself is not designed for spectators.

I knew about the event in South Africa only because I have a friend competing in it.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Oleson View Post
    The reason the US Nationals in Oshkosh are not being promoted (or on the EAA Calendar of Events) is because it's not a public spectator event. Events on our calendar are designed to promote activities that our members can either participate in or watch. The IAC U.S. National Championships are neither. That's not to say people couldn't stand at Wittman Regional Airport and watch, but the event itself is not designed for spectators.
    Why would they not be a public spectator event? I am uninformed, please educate me.
    Rick

I suspect because if it's a public spectator event there would be a whole bunch of additional FAA restrictions. Just a guess.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Seems to me that it IAC is setting itself up for their own execution.........

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I suspect because if it's a public spectator event there would be a whole bunch of additional FAA restrictions. Just a guess.
    And the need to arrange parking areas and have folks there to supervise, set up and control public viewing areas, arrange and maintain large numbers of porta-potties, and pay for the liability insurance needed for a public event.

And the problem is, precision aerobatics isn't really a good spectator sport for the common public. It's like watching karate katas; if you're familiar with the sport, there's a lot of pleasure in watching, but to the hoi polloi, it's just a lot of flailing around without the huge leaps and screams they expect.

Reminds me of the story about a farmer watching a '30s Barnstormer do low-level acrobatics: "Sure, he's real brave next to the ground, but let's see him go real high and do that....."

Ron "Ain't never been Arestied in my life" Wanttaja