Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Sam Oleson

I checked twice. Could not find any forum rules.
    The "Hangar talk" says "general commentary about aviation", "or what's in the news, experiences, etc.". (whatever that means)
    Only thing I see.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 09-11-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Floats, I thought you of all people would have an honest response. You may disagree with everything I wrote, facts notwithstanding, but I wouldn't have made a flippant response to what you wrote.
    It was honest. It was surely not flippant but rather succinct and right to the core of your logic. I just said it in 10 words instead of 300. An old prof of mine would have been proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I checked twice. Could not find any forum rules.
    The "Hangar talk" says "general commentary about aviation", "or what's in the news, experiences, etc.". (whatever that means)
    Only thing I see.
    Yep. Tough to find.

Go all the way to the bottom of the page. It's in the "Posting Permissions" box. It's a link, called "Forum Rules."

Ron "If this weapon were to fall into the wrong hands, Farnsworth, it would mean total disaster for us all" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Crikey! I am SO sorry I brought the Equifax issue to the EAA Forums.
    You know what they say- no good deed goes unpunished!

While your intentions might have been good, the simple fact is that the story was a good week old, and anyone who frequents any sort of internet forum(s) or reads a single newspaper was already well aware of it. So all that was really accomplished was a waste of bandwidth and the restarting of an old argument. If there is someone out there for whom the EAA forums are their only news source... well, you might have helped that person, but unlikely. The rest of us come here for airplanes and such- we have plenty of other forums for non-airplane stuff as you mentioned you do as well.

Another analogy just popped into my head- this is sort of like wandering through exhibit building D at Oshkosh and seeing nothing but mattresses, ginsu knives and massage chairs. With so much junk and so little aviation, it's almost enough to make a person not want to go in the building. Let's not do that to our forums too.

And, so Ron doesn't have all the fun...

Jeff "My name's Friday and I'm a forum cop" Point.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hey guys,

I suppose it's about time to formally introduce myself. I'm Sam Oleson -- EAA's new social media coordinator (starting a few months ago). Myself, along with Hal and a few others, will be moderating these forums.

I can't specifically speak to Bill's original question, but I'm assuming those threads were included in the AirVenture topic, where basically any questions concerning AirVenture (or Oshkosh) are allowed. Pretty common sense stuff in that regard -- questions about tents, food, water bottles, appropriate clothing to bring, firewood, etc. are all fine. It's not specifically about the aviation portion of AirVenture, but it concerns the event and the logistics of camping in Oshkosh.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not going to be a super strict moderator. I'll allow some flexibility in topics as long as there's a legitimate tie to aviation. As Ron pointed out, it has to be a real connection, not something where a mention of aviation is simply thrown in to keep it "on topic." NFL teams use airplanes to travel to games, but it doesn't mean this is an appropriate place to discuss your fantasy football teams. Obviously that's a bit of a ridiculous comparison, but you understand what I'm getting at.

All that being said, I'm not going to go about just deleting threads unless the initial post is wildly off topic (or is spam), the conversation has veered completely away from aviation or is simply users arguing back and forth. Let's just try to keep it aviation (or AirVenture)-related and we'll all be fine. Again, I'll allow a little flexibility.

One more note: If I or someone else closes or deletes a thread, it's nothing personal to the user who started it. We're just trying to keep these forums on topic.

Any questions, feel free to ask Hal or myself.

Thanks!

Gosh, Sam are you sure you want this job? You seem like too nice and calm a guy. Did you lose a bet? Do you have all your hair? Remember when Pres Obama came into office he was young and handsome and when he left 8 years later, in his own words " now I look like Morgan Freeman". Well moderating this forum is not quite that bad, and it shouldnt be hard but some people are pretty stubborn, not me of course, its those other guys.
    Yeah I am a little stubborn when I think there is an real principle involved.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Banned
    Yeah I am a little stubborn when I think there is an real principle involved.
    Agreed...and with no recognizable one as well.😄😄

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Crikey! I am SO sorry I brought the Equifax issue to the EAA Forums. I've admitted I didn't know that topics are required to be aviation related and my post was meant entirely as a warning to my EAA 'friends' and was indeed NOT at all aviation related. I made the same post on several other forums/social platforms again as a friendly advisory to my internet 'friends' and family members.

I will know better for my future posts here.

please, please let's all stay 'friendly'?

No internet forum is complete without its whiners.

Speaking of which, the emoticons STILL suck!!
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Pilots? Stubborn? Nahhhhhhhhh.......

Ron "Ref Steven Coonts on brake use" Wanttaja

Kyle, first it wasnt my thread it was Randy's and as for your suggestion that I write on another forum, Ill make the parallel one to you, why dont you read on another forum and not anything I write here? Fair enough?
    Bill, you could be a valuable contributor to this forum. You have a very interesting and historic aircraft you could discuss, and I'm sure you have other valuable aviation thoughts and experience you could share. I'd hate to miss it if you actually shared some of that experience and knowledge. On the other hand, it baffles me that instead of being a real contributor here, you seem to focus your efforts on challenging (flaunting?) the forum rules.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 09-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.