Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I am a flight 'virgin' no more!

You are doing just fine, I was responding to Maladexters complaint about tightwads and lip service, and wanted to make sure to see it your way.And, no dont wait on anything do it best you can.

Banned
    Bill, Bill, Bill, please do some "GOOD lip service" for the OP of the thread "Inspirational Fly By"(just below this one). Here's your place in the sun on the Forum to do something of great value for this OP and yourself. Please respond to him, it's the kind and courteous thing to do.

I'm glad to see you're doing something about flying instead of just talking about it each annual OSH week.

Here's a little story to encourage you: Vic was an acquaintance about 25 years ago, a professor emeritus who'd retired from the University at age 70. We first met at a Faculty Wives dinner club, back when I was teaching at the University. I saw his wife Katy monthly at a non-profit board meeting, and I'd run into him at various social events (small town). I was chairing the local airport board and did a dog & pony slide show about the airport for the local service clubs (Lions, Rotary, etc.). After one of my presentations, he called me and asked if I could teach him to fly. At the time, I had a couple students, but instructing was only a part-time passion, not my job. I told him that I just didn't have the time, but I recommended one of the other instructors, and I told him that I'd be happy to answer any questions he had from time to time.

The next time I heard from Vic, he had just soloed, and he was as elated as a junior high kid after his first kiss! I think we were on the phone for half an hour, as I mostly listened to him relate his experience. To make a long story short, Vic would call whenever he ran into a plateau that was troubling him (which happens often in flight training). We'd talk, he'd thank me, and then one day he called to say that his checkride was coming up, and he was nervous. So we talked about prepping for that, and then a week later he called to say he'd passed his checkride--and to thank me for all my encouragement.

Vic flew for another couple of years. Then one day Katy told me that Vic had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, and that he'd handed her his drivers license and his pilots license--and I cried with her. But for those 2 years, Vic had enjoyed doing what those of us who've been flying most of our lives enjoy.

Like you've said several times in this thread, if not now, when? I'm glad that your "when" is now.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Thanks!

Can you wear a name tag on the tram? Good looking 68 year old doesn't narrow it down much.

I always do - I'm told I most resemble Wilford Brimley - lol - this year's nametag looked like this:

Name:  oshkosh nametag.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 09-24-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Randy, how is is going with you Gleim course? Good luck, if you want to post the order of chapters. You said sectionals, surprised that would be first.

Hi Bill, thanks for asking.

I have completed the first go-through of the FAA Knowledge Test book and have taken and passed over a dozen sample online tests. Highest grade so far has been a 98. Never a grade below 85. I am now in the process of re-reading the materials with emphasis on the areas where I know I still need practice and more understanding. Decoding weather reports, sectional charts and CG-load-balance-landing/takeoff distance calculations. Also continuing practice with my manual E6B. I 'think' I'll likely opt for a Sporty's or CX-2 electronic one for the written test and future formal flight training.

Although it's tempting to go all out, don't over-spend on the E6B (electronic or otherwise). Chances are you'll use it right up until your check ride, then it's ballast until you decide to leave it at home.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Why is that Dale? Not a critique, honest ignorance on my part, and a sincere desire to learn. Is that most fliers use pilotage/landmarks rather than route planning/wind adjustments? Have the modern glass panels, GPS, I-Pad apps etc. made these calculators obsolete/redundant?
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 10-05-2017 at 03:20 PM.