Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a flight 'virgin' no more!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I have enjoyed a true passion for all things aviation since childhood. Now that I'm retired, kids are gone and wife is a blissful 'ex' - it's an appropriate time to see that passion to its logical conclusion.
    Reminds me of a similar story. A priest, a minister and a rabbi are fishing on a boat. While lazily passing the time on a beautiful summers day they get into a discussion about when does life begin.

The priest says, life begins at the moment of conception.

No, no, no, says the minister, life begins when the child is born.

My learned friends, says the rabbi, I'm afraid you are both wrong. Life begins when the kids leave and the dog dies!

You are still kind of a "virgin" until solo. When landings start to get good and easy be sure to start wearing older shirts.

LOL - Yes, I am aware of the 'tradition' of wearing apparel mutilation - lol. Watched it last weekend in fact - they let the just-soloed pilot's wife do the honors with some pinking shears.

I view the Sport Pilot license in the same way as I viewed my first Scuba certification and my Class M note on my Driver's License. They were both 'licenses' to now go out and learn how to..... dive, ride a cycle and hopefully soon enough I'll be 'licensed' to get up there and learn how to fly a Light Sport airplane. I have NO problem leaving my ego in the car when I enter a pursuit as a student.

Congratulations Randy, flying is an amazing feeling. Flying the plane yourself is even more amazing. Glad you liked it, my training lessons will be over soon and I am hoping to get to experience it myself.

Just wanted to add a 'congrats', I'm excited for you Randy and look forward to hearing about your journey!
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

THANKS - I bought the Gleim Sport Pilot kit last Saturday and am slowly working my way thru it at home - Just finished the Unit on Sectional Charts - Ay Caramba! - I felt like a monkey staring at a Rubik's Cube - lol

Like back in school, don't look at that 3" thick algebra textbook. Don't even acknowledge it's very existence. Just learn Chapter 1. Then learn Chapter 2, etc, etc. It's not a race. Then again, algebra was more difficult than the private pilot course. And you'll probably know or be familiar with much of the material.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Just finished the Unit on Sectional Charts - Ay Caramba! - I felt like a monkey staring at a Rubik's Cube - lol
    Can be overwhelming so one day at a time, it's not a race and no one is timing you. Learn how to map read really well and do dead reckoning(do they still teach this in ground school?) on those sectionals. You'll be glad you did when your digital Nav gadgets crap out one day.

My 'process' involves making good use of the Gleim online Study and Test programs, with the addition of many youtube vids on each topic. Sometimes the visual descriptions work better than the printed word, like learning anything new I reckon. Economic realities have me 'teaching' myself to pass the FAA Knowledge Test rather than renting a CFI to do so and I accept the extra challenges that choice represents.

I'm learning to adopt the Tom Hanks motto from the movie League of Their Own - " It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

Randy, I also learn better if I can "See" it done. When I read stuff, I kinda get the blind stares and then have no idea what I just read.
    Bob