Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equifax data breech

Lets try one more time Ron, what is the difference to EAA if someone posts something false non aviation, famous person driving drunk vs famous person flying drunk? If real liabiity is not your issue is it jealousy?
    Dont know where you get "these forums give them zero benifit."" I personally find the forums a major benefit and Airventure is only a week per year, I use and enjoy and try to learn from the fourms year round. I may have some strong opinions on lots of things, but I dont think I ever have and hope never to try to restrict others opinions even if I disagree with them. I hope Im a person open to hearing both sides and I have a little less respect for those who dont. I m aware that a lot of people give lip service to the 1st amendment but fear to really live that way.
    I was once on a forum that claimed to be aviation related, only those topics accepted. Lots of interesting people, but in truth the largest topic with the most posts was a conserative one often in the news nothing to do with flying. A friend even showed me a recent topic there which was a man bragging about beating a 3 year old child with a stick, NOT MAKING THIS UP at all, he can find the post.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Ron there is another issue related to this. If you or Jeff get up every morning bent on censoring anyone on the fourm who's not pure enough, it is not that far removed from the same kind of thinking where a neighbor at Santa Monica or Meigs sees other people out having fun and makes it his business to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Lets try one more time Ron, what is the difference to EAA if someone posts something false non aviation, famous person driving drunk vs famous person flying drunk? If real liabiity is not your issue is it jealousy?
    Again, the point is that they ARE the rules. I've tried to explain why EAA has these content rules, but it really doesn't matter. As we used to tell people who complained about the radio station I used to deejay for, "Your radio has two knobs. One changes the channel, and the other turns it off. If one doesn't help, I suggest you try the other." If you don't like the rules, either convince EAA to change them or go elsewhere.

Dont know where you get "these forums give them zero benifit."" I personally find the forums a major benefit and Airventure is only a week per year, I use and enjoy and try to learn from the fourms year round.
    Re-read what I said: "These forums give THEM zero benefit." Having the forums doesn't increase EAA's membership, political clout, Airventure attendance, or financial bottom line. It's a service offered to membership, at the cost of some server space (trivial) and a salaried individual to moderate the groups (cost depends on whether that's their only function).

Assume there's a tree down the street, with nice juicy apples, and the owner has a sign saying "Take one." You might consider being able to pick a fresh fruit every time you walk by to be a major benefit, but the owner of the tree doesn't see any advantage in your use of his tree. And, if you ever sue him because you found a worm in an apple.....

Ron "with anyone else but me" Wanttaja

Ron there is another issue related to this. If you or Jeff get up every morning bent on censoring anyone on the fourm who's not pure enough, it is not that far removed from the same kind of thinking where a neighbor at Santa Monica or Meigs sees other people out having fun and makes it his business to stop them.
    Look up the definition of "censor" some time...you'll see that neither Jeff nor I am capable of it, in these forums.

Your claim that Meigs was closed because someone resented someone else having fun is laughable. It was money, pure and simple, the same thing that's threatening Santa Monica. People think they'll make more money without the airport.

Ron Wanttaja

I didnt expect you to answer the question and my expectations were met. As to your advice to "go elsewhere" I m trying to stay polite on this forum even to those who are not. I used to think it might be interesting to meet you, but dont think wed have much in common. If you were in the EAA management you might be able to push out those who dont see it your way.

Nowhere did I write that Meigs was closed for that reason, those are your words. It s one thing to judge what others should write on a forum but it goes over any line of honesty when you misquote them to try to make a point.
    Im not an expert on Meigs but far as I know there is a park there not any money making spot.
    I think jealousy can certainly play a part in public complaints about an airport or race track or golf course or someone else posting on a forum.
    Do you help guard a lot of other forums?

Nowhere did I write that Meigs was closed for that reason, those are your words.
    Your words, post #22: "...the same kind of thinking where a neighbor at Santa Monica or Meigs sees other people out having fun and makes it his business to stop them"

Ron Wanttaja

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Alright, closing this thread down. There is some flexibility to threads when it concerns aviation (i.e. there should be a legitimate tie to aviation but it doesn't have to strictly be 100% about aviation), but this one has run its course. Thanks!