Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting your A&P

Getting your A&P

I have read several articles on getting your A&P by using your hours of working on your home-built and also being proficient in the hanger. My question is what can you really count towards your A&P from online seminars and even online schools?

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    I have read several articles on getting your A&P by using your hours of working on your home-built and also being proficient in the hanger. My question is what can you really count towards your A&P from online seminars and even online schools?
    Here ya go:

§65.77 Experience requirements.
    Each applicant for a mechanic certificate or rating must present either an appropriate graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificated aviation maintenance technician school or documentary evidence, satisfactory to the Administrator, of—

(a) At least 18 months of practical experience with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment generally used in constructing, maintaining, or altering airframes, or powerplants appropriate to the rating sought; or

(b) At least 30 months of practical experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both the airframe and powerplant ratings.

Re: "Documentary evidence, satisfactory to the Administrator" Go the the FSDO and have them define exactly what that is cause that's who you have to convince you have the requisite practical experience.

Online classes for A&P are not gonna happen.

I looked into Spartan College in Tulsa. They have the online side of classes that count towards the FAA hours but you still need to go there for 7 months to complete the practical experience side about 50 hours per each of the 15 3 college credit hour of classes.
    Last edited by mallen; 09-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.

I don't know if you can use online seminars or schools, but I got my A&P about 30 years ago by building an experimental aircraft, a replica of a 1911 Stahltaube, or "steel dove." I documented about 4000 hours of work designing, building and test flying the aircraft over a 3- year period. I worked closely with the San Jose FSDO and a designated mechanic examiner from Gavilan College. I needed to take the oral, written and practical tests at Gavilan College. So there are ways to meet the practical experience requirement without going to an accredited school.
    Joel Marketello

I requested a letter from each aviation employer documenting my total months on the job.
    And a letter from the I.A. that signed off my Aeronca Chief restoration.

Thanks Joel. I will be building most likely a RV-12 but even doubling the time will still leave me short. I plan on having A&P's to come and do sign offs but they took the traditional way of schooling and have scratched their heads on online classes and seminars counting for time when asked. I would think that online seminars that count for AMT credit would count for time as would some of the engine classes you can take from the manufacturers. I do think talking to the FSDO might clear it up but still wondering if anyone recently went this route and fined out what was approved.

One other thing was an issue for me- turbine engine experience for the "P" rating. I got plenty of reciprocating engine experience but turbine engines are so valuable and scarce, that only accredited schools have engines to work on/study.
    Joel Marketello

Sorry to rain on your parade but don't kid yourself into thinking that building a modern kit, especially as one as easy as the RV-12 remotely gives you the experience anywhere near what you need to be a competent A&P. IMO building barely gives you the necessary chops to qualify for a repairmans certificate and I built a plane way more complex than a 12.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I am also under the impression that any work you do towards the hours for the license has to be under the direct supervision of a licensed mechanic who is on the work site.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

A&P

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    I'll ask one question. After you think you have an "X" amount of training and after you think you have complied with the FAA requirements, if I ask you to perform various tasks on your practical with the correct tools and test equipment, could you do that? Answer, you would not be able to since you have no idea what tasks I will have you perform, meaning you would not have the available test equipment to perform various practical exercises because you have to provide everything, I just provide pen! You can be failed over one exercise - true story! It is no longer the 1940's. 50's. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90,s. Almost everybody attends school now unless you have a relative or neighbor as an examiner that will just sign you off. The airlines, you are restricted to only a few areas, so that never works but might save a class or two. General Aviation, you would be restricted as well. Its like the pilot that wants to learn how to fly thru Google Flight school. Sorry, but its reality.