Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting your A&P

I found my A&P certificate to be useless until I got my I.A.
    Can't do annuals without the I.A. so not much need for A&P since you have to work with another I.A. anyway.

All this nonsense for small two seat planes is illogical and killing private aviation slowly.

Earlier this year, I finished my scratch build of a Bearhawk LSA. During the build process, I had an longtime IA friend of mine answer questions and perform a few QA checks over the three years of building.

When finished, I took the build logs to the FSDO to get my repairman's certificate. I also brought a letter from the aforementioned IA attesting to my experiences working under his supervision as well as a typed up log of my experiences(starting with two years as a line boy in college, through twenty years of "owner assisted" maintenance of my various experimental and certified aircraft, and ending with my experimental build. I reviewed the subject area requirements and was easily able to come up with the required subject knowledge as required and the thirty months was covered outside of my build.

The inspector complimented me on my records and issued my permission to take the tests. I plan on preparing for the written using an online guide and then use one of the "one week to pass" courses for the oral and practical. That is the method used by several other friends.

Note the permission to pursue the testing doesn't have an expiration date until you take the first test. IIRC, you then have two years to finish.

I don't believe I want the liability associated with working on other peoples planes but would like the A&P to be able to perform conditional inspections on any future Experimentals I might own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I found my A&P certificate to be useless until I got my I.A.
    Can't do annuals without the I.A. so not much need for A&P since you have to work with another I.A. anyway.

All this nonsense for small two seat planes is illogical and killing private aviation slowly.
    I have found my A&P to be quite useful and have purposely put off getting my IA for the last 10 years or so. I work primarily on Experimentals, and since I have full time employment that pays much better than A&P work, I won't take on work that someone that's trying to make a living bending wrenches wants to do. So I end up with things that are low profit, but take up a lot of shop time like field overhauls, composite fabrication and repair, and fabric work. The IAs I know have always been happy to sign the inspections for my work, so not having the ticket has not been a problem. Having an IA implies a certain level of commitment with a minimum number of inspections and /or 337s fled per year and a refresher every couple of year . I just haven't had the time for that while still working full time elsewhere. As I enter retirement, depending on the demand in the area I retire to, I may decide to add the IA onto my tickets.

Agreed. Too much cost and paperwork for some pretty simple airplanes is making it unnecessarily expensive.

Times change. I retired 20 years ago. Back then few experimentals came in for anything. I only had one Avid homebuilt in all those years.
    The primary opportunity at a small airport then was doing annuals on certificated airplanes. A full time non-aviation paying job is almost needed today, I think.

I was in a A& P class in Tucson but am dropping it. It was a foolish choice especially at my age.