Thread: Sir Winston and other great warriors and people

Sir Winston and other great warriors and people

My Son sent me a reminder that this time in 1939 first sea lord Winston Churchill was called to be prime minister. A message was sent to the Royal Navy that "Winston is back" I want to write about him, but I want to put it in a broad perspective, not just WW II though he is perhaps as important as anyone in the early war. ill quote him later.
    What if you could chose to be anyone in history? Often on EAA we celebrate military heroes and pilots because that is so much of history and development. But which hero pilot or what if a broader view? The most successful pilot by double is Hartmann with 654 victories, 15 times that of any American, but youd have to fly for Hitler. No Allied pilot is near him. What if we expand to civilian people as personally,given a choice Id rather save people. Would the Wright Bros be a choice? Maybe , but Wilbur died young and other than the airplane they may been somewhat isolated. What if we go beyond aviation to the broad world and think of top few perhaps 3 of all time? Obviously Jesus fits, but we are not supposed to get into religious , and he is a long time ago and I dont think I could be that brave.
    I have my own favorite 3 and Id put Sir Winston a solid no3. I like 2 others, Dr. King who confronted hate and violence without becoming that way himself, literally being the bigger and better person, knowing all along he would not survive, thats as brave as any pilot or soldier. My number one guy,just personally is Dr. Salk the main discoverer of polio vacine. I remember days when it killed and maimed so many children and I have friends who were hit. How great that the brilliance of your mind and your lifes work can do so much good. The vaccine is virtually totally effective, just stops polio not like flu shots which work half the time.
    So I like Sir Winston behind these two. He was a soldier in combat in WWI, not just desk guy, A great orator, with great humor. Most of all he saved Britain at the start of the war. He never had any illusions about Hitler, he saw him for the evil he would become. Churchill was a naval man, but his foresight of how important the air war would become and his support for the Royal Air Force was critical and a turn from past oversight and unpreparedness. His appointment of Lord Beaverbrook in charge of aircraft production was genius and made Spitfires a front line weapon eventually 23.000 of them. He wasn't perfect but his other asset was being to work with allies esp the big 3 , Pres Roosevelt and even Stalin. as a needed buffer to Stalin. A great man at a time when he was so needed. might be a little like Geo Washington in Valley Forge days.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.

He was a soldier in combat in WWII,
    I believe you got an extra "I" in there, Bill.

Larry N.

WWI was just the end of his military career which started in Cuba in 1895. He served in India and Sudan as well. He was taken prisoner while serving as a commissioned war correspondent in South Africa in the second Boer War and subsequently escaped. After that he served as First Lord of the Admiralty pushing major modifications in the Navy and even taking flying lessons (pretty bold for that pre-WWI era). Churchill returned to full-time military service to fight in Belgium during WWI leading many raids into no man's land.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    He was a soldier in combat in WWII,
    I believe you got an extra "I" in there, Bill.
    His combat experience was limited. Churchill served as a subaltern for several years before the turn of the century, but became a war correspondent (while retaining his commission). That's how he saw the majority of his action, including being a POW during the Boer War (he escaped, rather famously). His commission was in the cavalry, which, in the British military of the time, was not known for mental giants (he, in fact, flunked the entrance examination for military school three times).

He retired from the regular military in about 1900, and went into politics (stayed active with the reserves for a bit). During WWI, he was First Lord of the Admiralty, equivalent of the US's Secretary of the Navy. The Gallipoli campaign was his, and the disaster basically cost him his job. He then served several months as a battalion commander, then went back home to be active in politics again.

The "Winston is Back" signal basically is referring to the time he was First Lord.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    WWI was just the end of his military career which started in Cuba in 1895. He served in India and Sudan as well. He was taken prisoner while serving as a commissioned war correspondent in South Africa in the second Boer War and subsequently escaped.
    If one can find it, the movie "Young Winston" is a pretty rousing depiction of this.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    - Winston Churchill

Ron Wanttaja

Winston did well enough in military school to graduate ranked 8th in class and ranked 1 in 'tactics". But his academics as a kid are not the same importance as his example and his leadership in 1940 on when the need was so critical.