Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What flight/engine instruments do we really need?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Yeah.
    I built a motorglider powered by two Tecumseh engines. The FAA inspector told me he could not issue an airworthiness certificate without an oil pressure guage. The engines didn't have an oil pump.
    Cant argue with the authority.
    lol, so you install a gauge and it would have to be appropriately marked with the operating range; a green radial arc on the dial at zero pressure!!

Read the REGS. Nothing more to say. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    ...align the course line on the chart with the aircraft, and turn until the section lines matched up with the lat/long lines... "Real-Time Navigation Around Volcanoes." Ron Wanttaja
    Me, too.

I remember flying from Neb to SoDak once, three section lines east after takeoff, turn left, don't cross another section line until turning base leg after 185 miles. And in AZ, flying a tour back to KSEZ from the Grand Canyon, a customer couldn't find the Jetranger's compass and asked me where it was. Took me a bit to remember. Asked me how I was navigating (we had no GPS in the helo yet) if not by compass or chart. "We just pass a tad to the left of that mountain and follow the canyon down to the airport." As Bob Hope used to sing, "thanks for the memories."

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  57.3 KB

I'm taking your question as "what do we really need to safely fly an aircraft?" as stated in the title. Not "what is legally required?" because that's easy to answer with research, not thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    ...Bear in mind I'm talking about strict VFR and no interaction with the ATC at all.....
    Assuming fixed-wing engine-powered simple aircraft?

Tachometer
    Oil Pressure idiot light (if a pressure system)
    Oil Temperature idiot light (and/or coolant temp idiot light if liquid cooled)

I omitted the gas gauge because you can dipstick the tank and knowing the burn rate get on glide path to a safe landing before it runs out.

This basic an aircraft will likely have so much drag you can't overspeed it or stall it without a plentitude of aerodynamic and vibratory clues, but if not, then add an ASI. A spring and vane would be fine if the speed range is right.

The tach helps to tell if it's developing adequate power for takeoff before running out of runway. After that you know if you have enough power because it doesn't descend with full throttle and the nose at climb attitude.

I agree a slip/skid indicator is valuable, but not essential.

Compass is for navigation not flying and there are other ways to navigate.

YMMV
    Last edited by Mike M; 09-07-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Marc; sorry for the abuse. As was pointed out, lots of DAR's and FAA inspectors don't fuss over instruments on the panel in Experimentals. My own FAA inspector looked at my panel, snorted, and said it was nice to see but overkill...and then remarked that he wasn't going to ask if it worked.

We all are pretty certain about things we know, right up until we're shown they're not quite correct.

Mike, you read correctly.

I'll agree that if an aircraft has a vertical stabilizer, the slip indicator becomes somewhat secondary - one can feel the slip. Without one, though, it becomes important.

I'd hazard to say that a tach is important if one is running magnetos and carb heat, as it's pretty much a given that knowing the RPM's during a run up is the right way to do it. As I have single ignition and "automatic" carb heat, I don't have a run-up. I have a control check.

I have a hatred of idiot lights, btw, unless they also come with a gauge. "Something's wrong and now you're screwed" they seem to say to me unless there's some context to them.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have a hatred of idiot lights, btw, unless they also come with a gauge. "Something's wrong and now you're screwed" they seem to say to me unless there's some context to them.
    Noted. Valid. Switches fail, bulbs burn out.

Background. I have high oil temp and low oil pressure switches installed in my Lyc powered aircraft in addition to the gauges for temp and pressure. The switches are both wired to the same light (yeah, i was experimenting) so when the light comes on I check both gauges. Sort of a mini-master caution light, if there is such a thing. I've discovered over the years that when the light comes on I get real antsy about landing no matter what either gauge says. Then I figure out what was wrong. Thus I postulate that neither gauge is absolutely necessary for my safe flight nor are two separate idiot lightbulbs. RED light, LAND.

P.S. the switch failures I've had (3 in 15 years) have so far turned the lightbulb on. No bulb failure yet. Maybe two bulbs wired in parallel in case one fails?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    This basic an aircraft will likely have so much drag you can't overspeed it or stall it without a plentitude of aerodynamic and vibratory clues, but if not, then add an ASI.
    I tend to agree, but: Until one's ears and senses are attuned to the aircraft, it's nice to have an ASI for reference.

After 20+ years of flying the same aircraft, I don't really need the airspeed any more. But, certainly, the first year or so it was necessary in order to calibrate my seat, pants, aviation Mk V.

I'd also include an altimeter in the list, just for courtesy's sake. You'd like to fly the same pattern altitude as everyone else, just to increase the chances of them seeing you.

Personally, too, I'd have a fuel gauge. I know it's stepping into the "doomsday" scenarios I laughed at a few days back, but there are times when what's actually in the tank may not be what you think it should be. The seat 'o the pants can't measure fuel quantity. If you're going to dipstick the tank before takeoff anyway, put a cork on a wire and give yourself an in-flight reading as well.

Just re-shellac'ed and repainted mine....

Ron Wanttaja

The big advantage of engine gauges is that they give you some warning. I've noted gradually decreasing oil pressure and thus headed for home, and of course a temp gauge can warn you to lower the nose and get some more air flowing past the engine. As the quote goes, it'll tell you she's hurtin' before she keens.

"But it ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the final rule of flying' is? Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. "
    - Captain Mal Reynolds

Ron "leaf on the wind" Wanttaja

Me, too.

I remember flying from Neb to SoDak once, three section lines east after takeoff, turn left, don't cross another section line until turning base leg after 185 miles. And in AZ, flying a tour back to KSEZ from the Grand Canyon, a customer couldn't find the Jetranger's compass and asked me where it was. Took me a bit to remember. Asked me how I was navigating (we had no GPS in the helo yet) if not by compass or chart. "We just pass a tad to the left of that mountain and follow the canyon down to the airport." As Bob Hope used to sing, "thanks for the memories."

Flying around New Mexico and Colorado, a large part of the time is just as you describe, using the orientation and shapes of the mountains and valleys. Of course the first time you hit these areas, you want something else, a sectional or something, but it doesn't take long to get comfortable with mountains. For example, ABQ to GUP:
    Go west, hang just to the left of Mt. Taylor. After passing Mt. Taylor keep just a tad south of the red sandstone ridges (cliffs) and (depending on speed) half an or so after Mt. Taylor it'll be on your left.

Of course that sort of thing doesn't work well in Illinois and Indiana, to name a couple. But there you do often have section lines.
    Last edited by lnuss; 09-08-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Larry N.

Noted. Valid. Switches fail, bulbs burn out.

. No bulb failure yet. Maybe two bulbs wired in parallel in case one fails?
    Just have the green landing light bulb burn out on you. That will get your attention fast. I have had it happen twice -- once on my return from OSH this year. It is, however, the only important interior bulb that has failed on me.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com