Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2018

I've told this previously, but since the context is about hotels, I'll relate it again.

In January 2008, my wife and I attended a Sonex Workshop at Oshkosh. January. We stayed at the Hilton. Now, up to this time, my wife never attended Convention. After the first day of the workshop, and after talking with the other spouses, she says to me, as we're heading back to the hotel, "How 'bout I attend this year?" After swerving on the snow covered street in disbelief, I looked at her, and she followed it up with, "As long as we can stay at the Hilton." I laugh and tell her fat chance. She didn't believe me when I said there was no way you could even get *in* to the Hilton, let alone the price. As she's mocking me for being a Donnie Downer, we walk into the lobby. I lean on the counter, point to my wife, and tell the desk clerk, "My wife wants to make a reservation here during Convention." Clerk says, "What year?" My wife says, "This year, of course!" And the clerk then says, "We're booked 3 years out for that week! And that rate is $xxx (can't remember, but it was very high)" Ohhhhh.

So we stay in the a/c dorms at UWO. Which ain't cheap either at $125/night for a college dorm with no bathroom or shower (down the hall). But, she's attended every year with me since 2008 and has a blast. I don't even see her during the day - usually only when we get back to the dorm. She's into history and warbirds, I'm into homebuilding, technology, etc. She's ridden the Tri-Motor and Helicopter by herself. She's also met some truly interesting folks who just stopped to offer her a ride in their golf carts!

After the first year, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before our flight out of MKE (early flight). She walks into the room and exclaims, I never thought I'd look at a HI as luxurious, but after that week in the dorms, I'm in heaven!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    So we stay in the a/c dorms at UWO. Which ain't cheap either at $125/night for a college dorm with no bathroom or shower (down the hall).
    There are other options than the dorms or hotels. Check out the private listings here. https://stayeaa.com/find-private-housing/

For $125 a night you would get the almost the entire lower level of my home in Omro to yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    There are other options than the dorms or hotels. Check out the private listings here. https://stayeaa.com/find-private-housing/

For $125 a night you would get the almost the entire lower level of my home in Omro to yourselves.
    Thanks, but we're spoiled with the dorms. Don't have to stand in line to park in some far-out remote lot, we can all head back to the dorm (we have about 3 rooms with friends) at our own times, etc. Couldn't do that with just one rental car. Just hop the bus back to the dorm. We have in fact contemplated renting a house (since there *is* a group of us...), but the transportation logistics just didn't work out. I like to hit the grounds extra early, my wife likes to show up around 10, and the others are more of a 9 am arrival group.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Well, sad news today. Looks like we aren't going to have the 172 available for A/V 2018. But, there may be a chance to partner up with someone with a Bonanza but that adds another person and everyone wants there own tent. Privacy thing I guess, snoring, farting, restless sleep I guess are big issues ! It would be a lot faster but with 3 of everything it's going to fill up the available space pretty quick, we'll see. And then there is the option of driving the almost 2000 mi. round trip again. UUUGGGHHHH !!! Well, at least we've got plenty of time to see what's going to work best.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Well, sad news today. Looks like we aren't going to have the 172 available for A/V 2018. But, there may be a chance to partner up with someone with a Bonanza but that adds another person and everyone wants there own tent. Privacy thing I guess, snoring, farting, restless sleep I guess are big issues ! It would be a lot faster but with 3 of everything it's going to fill up the available space pretty quick, we'll see. And then there is the option of driving the almost 2000 mi. round trip again. UUUGGGHHHH !!! Well, at least we've got plenty of time to see what's going to work best.
    Bob
    Surely you could build an Air Camper by then?

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Surely you could build an Air Camper by then?
    I like the way you think Mazda !

Carl, the rate for the Hilton last time I checked a year ago was $475, so makes the week over $3500 after tax. I have stayed at the Hilton for a day or two just outside the convention week and its not only a good hotel but its location is hard to beat. I used to know someone who worked for Hilton so got a day or two at a normal rate of $175 but they couldn't do that during the week and they don't work there now. The rooms are a little noisy, and the food is ok, better than much of Oshkosh, but not really great. One type club I belong to moved their meeting away as the catered food one year was awful as was the service. Hilton had tried to do it themselves. The folks at the bar are often nice, I used to see
    Bob Hoover there every year. I tried staying at the dorm one year but it was bad, too hot to sleep with no a c and they didn't furnish any sheets at all, maybe that's ok if you are driving in, but even the rankest hotel I ever stayed in had sheets, maybe with a few bullet holes. Many folks say the food is pretty good at the dorms, but I've found a lot of EAA folks are not very discerning on food. How else could they sell cheese curds or whatever. Lots of people tout staying in a hotel an hour or more away, but not the same as being nearby to me.

Banned
    Research and yee shall find reasonable rates between 25-50 minutes north of Oshkosh. I've said it many times before here and so I'll say it again. For years we stayed in Green Bay at the Ramada for under $80.00 per night including a full daily breakfast.

Three years ago we decided to get closer and found a terrific brand name hotel for under $100.00 per night including a full breakfast daily in Appleton just off interstate 41.

We continue to fly into Green Bay, leave the plane with Jet Air and rent a Malibu for about $220.00/wk.

Where did you find a car in Green Bay for $220 for the week?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Where did you find a car in Green Bay for $220 for the week?
    At one of the major car rentals, been dealing with them for many years. You sound skeptical. I'd be happy to meet you on the Osh grounds and show you the invoice.