Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Uh, FWIW, I camp with my 63 P172D in a stand up 4 person tent, on a cot with a nice thick Thermarest mattress. I have tables and chairs and coolers and stoves. I also bring an extra cot and mattress for any guest I may have during the week. The majority of the tents in airplane camping are large ones. Fly-in camping doesn’t require backpacking-like austerity.

Oh, BTW, I’ll be 74 tomorrow. For a single overnight, a crawl-in tent is acceptable, but for a week, I also like stretch-out comfort.

Cary
    Happy Birthday Cary, more power to you and I hope you get to enjoy many more AirVentures ! In comfort !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. In the homebuilt camping area, there are a lot of 2-3 person ultralight camping tents, just because the (mainly) two seat attendees are on a pretty strict budge for weight and cubic volume they can carry in the airplane along with a friend and all of the gear necessary to be sorta-comfortable for several days/nights.
    That’s the one area I haven’t camped in. But I’ve seen some pretty big camps beside some pretty small airplanes in the other areas, and the universal answer seems to be UPS, except for some folks I met last year, from the Chicago area, who were camped beside me. He flew his home-built 2 seater, and she drove their SUV with all the camping gear aboard!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    That’s the one area I haven’t camped in. But I’ve seen some pretty big camps beside some pretty small airplanes in the other areas, and the universal answer seems to be UPS, except for some folks I met last year, from the Chicago area, who were camped beside me. He flew his home-built 2 seater, and she drove their SUV with all the camping gear aboard!

Cary
    That is what my family does, but we come in from Northern Virginia. I fly with one son, the tent, and personal gear in case ground support is delayed. The mother unit drives in with the mini-van, other son, and remaining ground support: field kitchen, cots, and remaining camping -- sorry, "glamping" gear she insists on.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Ten of us share a locker just off the field. Packing in and out got a lot better when we standardized on a single size bin:

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    That is what my family does, but we come in from Northern Virginia. I fly with one son, the tent, and personal gear in case ground support is delayed. The mother unit drives in with the mini-van, other son, and remaining ground support: field kitchen, cots, and remaining camping -- sorry, "glamping" gear she insists on.
    Glamping is good!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Ten of us share a locker just off the field. Packing in and out got a lot better when we standardized on a single size bin:

How do you get your stuff from storage to your camp site ? This sounds like a great idea for flying in and camping. Do you camp with your plane ?
    Bob

We just bought this 31ft 2005 Coachmen RV and are getting it ready for Oshkosh! So far, everything works great. Drove it to Norman OK for the AOPA Fly-in.

I've got an AirVenture logo and Countdown timer on my RV (recreational vehicle that is) website: https://thisnewoldrv.com/

Name:  beulah.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  65.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    How do you get your stuff from storage to your camp site ? This sounds like a great idea for flying in and camping. Do you camp with your plane ?
    Bob
    We have a few people in the coop that drive up. Either that or I borrow a truck from one of the Oshkosh-area locals who volunteer with us.

Well, it appears we will have a pop up camper to make the almost 1000 mile trip with us next year. My buddy has (supposedly) secured a camper for us but I have yet to see it. I would like to make sure we know how to put it up and down without doing any damage plus, I want to make sure it's clean. On another note, I will be having knee replacement on the 23rd of January so I will have almost a full 6 months before AirVenture 2018, I think that should be enough. Anyway, as for now, "It's on like a pot of smoked neck bones" !
    Bob

Well, it's official, I'm having knee replacement surgery on Jan. 23, 2018. At some point before then I will re-visit the surgeon to get all the details and I'm going to ask about getting an injection for my other knee about a week before Airventure. That's what I've been doing the past couple of years but now that that knee is going to be fixed, I'll start getting shots in the (good, ha, ha) knee. Also, just had injections in my back for sciatic pain but won't know how it's working for another week. I will have almost 6 mos. recovery before Airventure so I figure I'll be good to go. Still working on the camper thing.
    Bob