Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2018

First off, there are city buses from the main gate area to the dorms. Where are you parking during the show (what sort of airplane?). There are also a few courtesy shuttles that can get you from your plane direct to the dorm.

Quote Originally Posted by [FONT=Calibri
    A question for anyone that has flown into AirVenture and stayed at the dorms. There may be 3 of us flying in next year and staying in a dorm but there are only two beds in the dorm so we will have to take a cot[/FONT].
    Robt:

There is no place to put a cot in a two-person dorm room. The dorm rooms I have stayed in have two single beds against the wall, there is a microwave and small refrigerator between the beds, study carrels at the foot of the beds, then a small chest of drawers and some shelving above the chests. These rooms are literally "walk in and back out." In my opinion, you will need two of these rooms for three people, or, one of the larger rooms that sleeps four. In either case you can leave the cot home.

Don

Ron, if we end up flying it will be a Beachcraft Bonanza and if we go to the dorms I'm assuming we would park in general aircraft parking.
    And dewi, the young lady I talked with said it was ok to put a cot in a dorm room, she didn't say however that it would be that crowded. If it's going to be that bad we may as well make the 900 plus mile drive and camp. But who knows, different options may come up by then, after all, it's still 249 days before opening day.
    Bob
    Bob

Bob:

The dorm rooms I have stayed in (Taylor Hall, I believe), are adequate, but not all that comfortable, the only place to sit in them is on one of the beds or the chairs at the study carrels, the bathrooms are down the hall, and there is no water in the rooms. I have always marveled at the university's ability to get students to stay in them! Limited, and as expensive, as they are, they still are not a bad choice for AirVenture. Taylor Hall (an air conditioned dorm) is a close walk to the dining facility which does a decent job with its food and the buses to the AirVenture grounds are right in front of the the dining facility. The early morning buses are crowded, but they are better than fighting the traffic and paying the parking costs at AirVenture. The non air conditioned dorms may be more commodious, I have not stayed in one.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Ron, if we end up flying it will be a Beachcraft Bonanza and if we go to the dorms I'm assuming we would park in general aircraft parking.
    And dewi, the young lady I talked with said it was ok to put a cot in a dorm room, she didn't say however that it would be that crowded. If it's going to be that bad we may as well make the 900 plus mile drive and camp. But who knows, different options may come up by then, after all, it's still 249 days before opening day.
    Bob
    Bob
    If camping is one of your options, why not just plan that from the get-go, and camp with your airplane? It’s a great experience, camping with fellow aviation nuts, making new friends, seeing old friends, and airplanes! There’s no better alarm clock than a pair of Mustangs taking off at 6:05 for the dawn patrol!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

If it is a 1970 or earlier plane, you can park in Vintage. Ask whoever parks you to ask them to get Tony's Taxi. This is a free service on a time available basis. It's not a vintage operation, but the vintage parking guys have a direct line into them so it's easy. Alternatively, you can always call the real OSHKOSH CAB. They know where the access points on the field are. I used to have them in my cell phone back in the day.

I appreciate all the responses, I did not know about the taxis. If we do camp we will be driving up so we can have a decent tent, complete with cots and self inflating mattress like we did last year. At 71 and knee replacement coming after the first of the year, I ain't crawling in and out of a 3 foot tall tent ! Been there, done that at SNF 2015 when we camped with the plane, ain't happening anymore !!! I can put up with a lot to experience MECA but the list gets smaller the older I get.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 11-19-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Uh, FWIW, I camp with my 63 P172D in a stand up 4 person tent, on a cot with a nice thick Thermarest mattress. I have tables and chairs and coolers and stoves. I also bring an extra cot and mattress for any guest I may have during the week. The majority of the tents in airplane camping are large ones. Fly-in camping doesn’t require backpacking-like austerity.

Oh, BTW, I’ll be 74 tomorrow. For a single overnight, a crawl-in tent is acceptable, but for a week, I also like stretch-out comfort.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

After 20 years of camping at Oshkosh, we've settled on the 8 person Cabela's Artic Guide domes. I am 6'1'+ and standing up in the middle is not a problem.
    Admittedly, we don't "fly" in the camp gear anymore. It stays in a storage locker off the field until we get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    ...The majority of the tents in airplane camping are large ones. Fly-in camping doesn’t require backpacking-like austerity.

Oh, BTW, I’ll be 74 tomorrow. For a single overnight, a crawl-in tent is acceptable, but for a week, I also like stretch-out comfort.

Cary
    Different strokes for different folks. In the homebuilt camping area, there are a lot of 2-3 person ultralight camping tents, just because the (mainly) two seat attendees are on a pretty strict budge for weight and cubic volume they can carry in the airplane along with a friend and all of the gear necessary to be sorta-comfortable for several days/nights.