I've told this previously, but since the context is about hotels, I'll relate it again.

In January 2008, my wife and I attended a Sonex Workshop at Oshkosh. January. We stayed at the Hilton. Now, up to this time, my wife never attended Convention. After the first day of the workshop, and after talking with the other spouses, she says to me, as we're heading back to the hotel, "How 'bout I attend this year?" After swerving on the snow covered street in disbelief, I looked at her, and she followed it up with, "As long as we can stay at the Hilton." I laugh and tell her fat chance. She didn't believe me when I said there was no way you could even get *in* to the Hilton, let alone the price. As she's mocking me for being a Donnie Downer, we walk into the lobby. I lean on the counter, point to my wife, and tell the desk clerk, "My wife wants to make a reservation here during Convention." Clerk says, "What year?" My wife says, "This year, of course!" And the clerk then says, "We're booked 3 years out for that week! And that rate is $xxx (can't remember, but it was very high)" Ohhhhh.

So we stay in the a/c dorms at UWO. Which ain't cheap either at $125/night for a college dorm with no bathroom or shower (down the hall). But, she's attended every year with me since 2008 and has a blast. I don't even see her during the day - usually only when we get back to the dorm. She's into history and warbirds, I'm into homebuilding, technology, etc. She's ridden the Tri-Motor and Helicopter by herself. She's also met some truly interesting folks who just stopped to offer her a ride in their golf carts!

After the first year, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before our flight out of MKE (early flight). She walks into the room and exclaims, I never thought I'd look at a HI as luxurious, but after that week in the dorms, I'm in heaven!