Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt Powered Paraglider Quad

Homebuilt Powered Paraglider Quad

Hi folks:

New the forum and starting on a project to build my own powered paraglider quad similar to this:

http://www.greeneagleppg.com/models/

I like working in aluminum and using the joinery techniques of the Green Eagle and the Quicksilver ultralight. I've done some preliminary calculations using Daniel Raymer's excel spreadsheet from his simplified aircraft design book for both 36 and 42 square meter paragliders. Not quite sure what to use for a powerplant/prop combo yet.

Anybody have experience/interest here?

I've got a dual degree in math and computers, and I'm not afraid to use either one to help with the process. I've got a copy of Raymer's design concept book and the student aircraft design software too. I am not currently a pilot, and locating training will be an issue also. There is a Blackhawk dealer fairly close who trains quads/trikes, but they're fairly expensive if I have my own equipment. At this point, I've purchased some used equipment to to some preliminary testing which I will probably sell later since I'm pretty sure it's not quite up to the task but will help me learn about the engineering/build issues.

Thanks, Michael

Welcome to the forum.
    The link shows two similar models. Why is the first called a PPG and the second called a PPC?

PPG is a Powered ParaGlider and PPC is a Powered ParaChute. They are different types of fabric wings and use different types of controls. The paragliders are cheaper, faster, and more maneuverable.

I forgot to mention that I'm developing for FAR Part 103.

The best place for ppg advice is the ppgbiglist yahoo group. There's also a ppghomebuilt yahoo group.

I'm interested in following your progress so if you put up a webpage or Facebook group post a link.

Particularly interested in the nuts and bolts part. I'm a hobby machinist A&P.

Thanks Dana - I'll check those out. Not quite sure how I'll post things, Is this not a good place to do that? I just bought a 36hp Subaru 4-stroke, so onward and upward...

Post your progress here. There is a button on the reply window for adding photos.

OK, I'll post here. I just purchased a 36hp Subaru 4-stroke engine for the project. I've also got a used 36m tandem paraglider (probably only for test development and not flight) , poly racing seat with a 5-point harness, and 4 wheels with replacement sealed ball bearings.

They had a PPG simulator set up at Oshkosh 2017 at the Ultralight tent. It was pretty cool with a real harness and seat and overhead pull handles and virtual goggles. It felt very real. Actually easy. Getting launched is the hard part.