Thread: Homebuilt Powered Paraglider Quad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Homebuilt Powered Paraglider Quad

Hi folks:

New the forum and starting on a project to build my own powered paraglider quad similar to this:

http://www.greeneagleppg.com/models/

I like working in aluminum and using the joinery techniques of the Green Eagle and the Quicksilver ultralight. I've done some preliminary calculations using Daniel Raymer's excel spreadsheet from his simplified aircraft design book for both 36 and 42 square meter paragliders. Not quite sure what to use for a powerplant/prop combo yet.

Anybody have experience/interest here?

I've got a dual degree in math and computers, and I'm not afraid to use either one to help with the process. I've got a copy of Raymer's design concept book and the student aircraft design software too. I am not currently a pilot, and locating training will be an issue also. There is a Blackhawk dealer fairly close who trains quads/trikes, but they're fairly expensive if I have my own equipment. At this point, I've purchased some used equipment to to some preliminary testing which I will probably sell later since I'm pretty sure it's not quite up to the task but will help me learn about the engineering/build issues.

Thanks, Michael

Welcome to the forum.
    The link shows two similar models. Why is the first called a PPG and the second called a PPC?

PPG is a Powered ParaGlider and PPC is a Powered ParaChute. They are different types of fabric wings and use different types of controls. The paragliders are cheaper, faster, and more maneuverable.

I forgot to mention that I'm developing for FAR Part 103.

The best place for ppg advice is the ppgbiglist yahoo group. There's also a ppghomebuilt yahoo group.

I'm interested in following your progress so if you put up a webpage or Facebook group post a link.

Particularly interested in the nuts and bolts part. I'm a hobby machinist A&P.

I have a Green Eagle, and it would be a disastrous problem to not be able to steer. That goes for both take off and landing. Not every time, but a lot of times you'll need steering to stay upright. Not so much while you're in the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally renewed my EAA membership....

Thanks to fhu677 for the Green Eagle reality check - I'm presuming you have the PPG version - true? I'm doing a PPC, so some thing are different (like my feet are used for parachute steering).

OK, I tried my brake steering idea, and the previous poster who mentioned skidding gets the prize. I'll post a picture of my test rig - it was good to finally build something. I've also got a piece of aluminum in the lathe to make a brake rotor adapter for the wheelbarrow wheels, so pictures coming of that too.

Great to be back, Michael

Hi folks!

Osh21 is reviving my enthusiasm for this project, so I'd like to revive this thread. I've made a bit of progress since the last post (notice, it was just prior to Covid Mania). I've spoken with a project manager friend, and he recommended some free project management tools to plan how to proceed. I general:

1) I'm going to do an aircart build first to test subsystems out using my baby redrive.
    2) I'll also work on the frame design. I'd prefer to use an existing design, but it
    looks like those are hard/impossible to find. I've found some aircraft structural
    textbooks to start reading.

OK, that's it for now. As Mike Patey says, "time to get to work!"