Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Houston conditions

Ron,

I agree with floatsFlyer. That view is incredible.

Tim

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Ron - there's a handful of things I miss about living in that area. First is family and friends, and next is scenery. I miss this view, definitely.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    ...You alluded to the real answer, do not build there.

Tim
    It's not rocket surgery. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5214038&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    I recall that whole debate when I was in college. Later on, it has proven to be the right choice.
    A few times, people have pushed FEMA to only offer funds if they move to higher ground or out of the flood area. Has not made it very far in Congress.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    That's awesome!! Hopefully they didn't relocate on a fault line.

I checked this morning and while it is drying out, rain stopped in Houston , Ellington airport runway is still closed and Hobby not open for non rescue gen aviation. I think Bush, Hou Int is open for airline flights.
    There are gasoline shortages in the area, some places are without electricity and in Beaumont they dont have running water.
    The Flight Museum in Galveston had a lot of flooding , airplanes and hangars and exhibits so was tryong to move to Ellington about 25 miles inland, not as scenic but may be dryer. This time Ellington got more water and flooding than Galveston.

Lots of loss of lives, more than 3 dozen that are known at this time, and millions of property damage. Trying to find a bright side, and a big one is people helping others and without any line as far as race goes. And also it you like seafood as much as I do,now you just dont have to go so far to catch it, maybe right outside your door. One man even caught a fish inside his kitchen!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-01-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Just wondering out loud..... IS there any 'high ground' in the Houston area on which one could have chosen to live? I once attended a seminar at Texas A&M in College Station which is about 100 miles N/W and don't recall any hills.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Just wondering out loud..... IS there any 'high ground' in the Houston area on which one could have chosen to live?
    There must be. My cousin has lived in Houston for the past 35 years. Many of my family members and myself have been in contact with her since last Saturday. While scared and without power she has not been affected by any flooding and her house is dry and safe. I don't know what area she resides. Because she has no power she's relocated to her son's house in Austin.

Austin is the eastern edge of what is known as The Hill Country. Austin is about 542 feet above seal level with a small hill , Mt. Bonnell in the middle top at 775 feet, and higher terrain to the west. If you want to get higher than that just follow closely behind Willie"s bus and breathe deeply. And dont think Willie has too many legal problems as the cops are mostly country music fans as are any potential jurors.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Just wondering out loud..... IS there any 'high ground' in the Houston area on which one could have chosen to live? I once attended a seminar at Texas A&M in College Station which is about 100 miles N/W and don't recall any hills.
    4th floor or higher in any downtown skyscraper