Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Houston conditions

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Flood insurance is incredibly expensive. My premium is $2700 a year and that comes with a rediculous deductible.
    just renewed with USAA for $425/yr. Had this house for 3 decades. Direct hits about 6 times. Only one claim (Andrew) for half the cost of a generator ($268). I logged on to find out how the Lone Star Aviation Museum is doing. It was at Galveston when I flew out Of Scholes. They were planning a move to Ellington.

Further info. I am about 5 miles from Pensacola Bay at 142' MSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Since everyone else knows that seperate flood insurance and the accompanying deductible is stupid expensive and stupid high, I would like to suggest that Marty tell us via PM or here as a post who his insurance company is so we can all save a lot of money. Thanks.
    I suspect the premium and deductible depend on whether you're in a formal flood plain area. Flood insurance for my house is pretty cheap, but I do live at the top of 400-foot hill. Mind you, considering the volcano, the "flood" might be lava.....

Got one of these signs on the road at the bottom of the hill....

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    just renewed with USAA for $425/yr.
    Does one still have to be current or former military only to qualify with them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    ...but I do live at the top of 400-foot hill. Mind you, considering the volcano, the "flood" might be lava.....

Got one of these signs on the road at the bottom of the hill....

Ron Wanttaja
    Now that's a sign I've never seen before anywhere. My niece and her family live in Seattle, don't believe she's ever told me about an active volcano.

Does one still have to be current or former military only to qualify with them?
    I've been a USAA member since 1968 and can't get USAA home insurance. Because they don't write policies for retirees, only active duty, in my county - that's what I've been told every year for the last 10 years when my Citizens policy is up for renewal.

YMMV

The last place I lived in Louisiana was inside the 100 yr floodplain and annual flood insurance was ~$400

I bet they have a hard time keeping those volcano signs up. The sign collectors would be all over that.

Now that's a sign I've never seen before anywhere. My niece and her family live in Seattle, don't believe she's ever told me about an active volcano.
    All of the major mountains in the Cascades are active volcanoes. This includes Mount Saint Helens, Mount Adams, Mount Rainier, Glacier Peak, and Mount Baker. Mount Rainier last erupted a bit over 100 years ago, and has hot spots and sub-surface quakes.

Kind of a b***h to fly somewhere where the ground may fly up at YOU.... :-)

Here's a shot of Mount Rainier taken from my home office window. It's about 45 miles away. Fortunately, there's a valley in the foreground that would probably intercept any mud/lava flow.

The lenticular clouds on the right formed behind Mt. St. Helens, ~80 miles to the south. Can't see it from my house, but can if I climb to ~1500 feet or so in the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Ron, that's a beautiful sight to look at every day from your house, you are blessed with a million dollar view as r/e agents say. And thanks for the geography lesson, did not know.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Flood insurance isn't very expensive and doesn't have high deductible. I do seem to recall you can't make a claim every yr, if you want a house where it floods regularly have to build accordingly, e.g., put the house on stilts or build a levee around it.

What really makes me sad is how unprepared people are. I mean I got flooded in one time for about 5 days and nobody came to rescue us. Just did what ya had to do until the water receded.
    There really is only one viable option for flood insurance. And that is the National Flood Insurance Program, which tax payers subsidize in a major way. Even then, many people find the coverage very expensive.
    You alluded to the real answer, do not build there.

Tim