Thread: "New" ? Me 109 INFO

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"New" ? Me 109 INFO

Ok,not really a new plane, but new info on an old plane. And not really a 109, but the Spanish built version of it, the Hispano 1112 version with the single stage Merlin 45 engine.
    On another site there is a news clip of an engine run, for the first time in decades of this 2seat 109 formerly owned by Connie Edwards. Its a very rare airplane, may be 1 othere, but this is the only 2 seat fully dual control factory built one that I have ever seen.
    After the filming of the Battle of Britain movie bout 1968 that Connie flew in he got a Spitfire and several 109s and brought them iback to his hangar at Big Springs, Texas. I dont think the 109 ever flew there , maybe didnt even run., but it was kept out of the weather and mainly just covered in dust, but kept safe.I think he had 2 Mustangs also. Connie is a larger than life guy and a vintage one of a kind himself. He has a lot of great aviation stories and can tell them with the best.I saw this plane in his hangar, intact but covered in dust like the Spitfire IX, I wish I could have rolled them out and just washed them with a hose and a little soap , really all they needed at that time, and then maybe covered them in plastic. I knew the 109 represented a unique oportunity to fly a 109 that almost no pilots will ever have.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-28-2017 at 09:35 PM.