Greetings,

I am a new to the forum and new to ultralight aviation.

I am an aerospace engineer and have decided to design and build my own ultralight. I got into engineering late in the game and have an extensive history in machining and mechanics (mostly automotive amd heavy equipment). So, I have, at least, the basic skills to take this project from start to finish.

I plan on a full metal craft with a semi monocoque fuselage and a rib and stringer wing.

I have been working from my Senior design class text by Raymer and have mostly completed the rough sizing calculations. I have stared into the conceptual stage where I need to start generating basic lay out drawings (read: the fun part).

I am sure I will have many many questions and would be quite interested in finding someone local(ish) who has been down the same road. I am in Wichita KS, and would love to chew the fat at my design firm office (Starbucks) and learn some insider tricks.

Also, if anyone has a 5 axis mill and a CNC lathe with live tooling just sitting in their garage waiting on something to do....

First serious questions:

Do I pick a reasonable gross takeoff weight (W0) considering my own size ( working on reducing that...) Or do I set a gross​ weight based on an average pilot to set wing area for minimum stall speed requirements? If I design it for a 170lb pilot and consider the spare tire I carry as "crash protection" and live with the higher stall speed, is that reasonable?

Next question:
Are there any power plant considerations which will be about 30-35 hp without breaking the bank? I have seen a Yamaha engine showing up on ebay, but cant find any info on it. Also a reasonable Cayuna on ebay, but that seems to be an antiquated engine and parts may be hard to find.

I appreciate any help and would love to find some new friends of like mind to share enthusiasm.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk