Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eaa wrong image

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Bill, I'll forward your concerns on to our Membership department. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Rod,that is a great slogan, I never heard that one before, where did you get that T shirt, Ive never seen it? Maybe every young pilot should be given one when they solo.
    I just bought a new T shirt at the pilot shop at Denver Cent. as for the 4 forces of flight. The one acting to the rear is "FAA".
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-28-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    No one from EAA has commented on my topic, so I guess either they haven't seen it or they think mailing a photo of a dangerous habit just doesnt matter and will pass on.And I didnt get anyone replying that I m making too much out of a small thing. A prop accident doesnt happen often ,but when it does it is serious or usually fatal and avoided by staying out of the prop arc at all times, just like you handle a gun safely by keeping it pointed down when not shooting, loaded or not.
    Bill:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. While it is an extremely low probability that a 182 engine will spontaneously fire from someone touching the prop blade, I do agree that the picture can suggest to the uninitiated that casual movement of persons around or touching a prop is ok. My hope is that the uninitiated will have safety conscientious members like you (Frank and Rod) to introduce them to aircraft safety, but knowing that isn't always the case, we've reached out to WD Lewis to request an updated photo for the next print run of that brochure.

Sorry for the delay in responding. As hard as we try, with hundreds of posts occurring out here on the EAA Forums every day, 24 hour response time without a system for flagging posts requiring our attention can be challenging.

By the way, while perfection is something we strive for, even when several people involved in the creation and review of a brochure like this are pilots, we do overlook the details in photos like this from time to time. We appreciate having members like you who bring such issues like this to our attention.

I would be happy to buy you a Pepsi next time you're in Oshkosh!

Thanks again,

Cory
    Last edited by Cory Puuri; 08-28-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Rod,that is a great slogan, I never heard that one before, where did you get that T shirt, Ive never seen it? Maybe every young pilot should be given one when they solo.
    I just bought a new T shirt at the pilot shop at Denver Cent. as for the 4 forces of flight. The one acting to the rear is "FAA".
    http://www.yourcooltees.com/shop/vie...n=5265877&pn=1 It popped up on my FaceBook feed sometime last year, so I bought it. I like your 4 forces tee shirt, very appropriate
    Last edited by Rod Schneider; 08-28-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

While I agree you should never hang around a prop (broken P lead) they can fire if moved. It always made me wonder how I was supposed to back the 172 into the hanger without touching that prop using the tow bar? Just gotta ask?
    C 172 Pilot
    Mike Sundstrom
    EAA 1019808

If you're in the front of the aircraft pushing it backwards, it's pretty easy to place one hand (flattened) on the blade of the prop near the hub, ensuring you're not in the arc and that you'd not get caught by the blade if the engine started. Of course you always check that the throttle is fully retarded, don't you?

Larry N.