Thread: I heard felon cant work at an airpoort, even with A &P, how can this be true?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I heard felon cant work at an airpoort, even with A &P, how can this be true?

Not to reopen an old wound. but a JobPath exec told me that they try to get students local jobs, and the Tucson employers they work with swear that by FAA rules that no felon can work at an airport or even be on runway. I argue, this Can't be so, I 've been on a bit of Tucson Air Strip a few times as required for my class. This makes no sense, if I cant get a job, then why was I accepted into the A & P program? Why did I get a Federal Pell Grant? Common Sense, these would not come through if there was no chance.

Also my Teachers deny this, they have seen a couple felons get hi grades, licenses, and jobs. FAA Part 13 doesn't mention this nor have I
    seen this anywhere in FAA regs.

I told Job Path that is only Those employers' Policies , Not the law, and I still get denied their help. IDK who they are but I've heard bad
    things about Bombardier by guys who work/worked there.

I have worked in and around the aviation field in Tucson since the mid 70's and have never heard this. Just my 2 cents.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Those convicted of certain felonies can not get a SIDA badge which makes will make employment at certain airports very restricted. Furhter, the FAA and the TSA uses the same list of offenses in other locations that bar certain people from access.

(1) Forgery of certificates, false marking of aircraft, and other aircraft registration violation; 49 U.S.C. 46306.(2) Interference with air navigation; 49 U.S.C. 46308.
    (3) Improper transportation of a hazardous material; 49 U.S.C. 46312.
    (4) Aircraft piracy; 49 U.S.C. 46502.
    (5) Interference with flight crew members or flight attendants; 49 U.S.C. 46504.
    (6) Commission of certain crimes aboard aircraft in flight; 49 U.S.C. 46506.
    (7) Carrying a weapon or explosive aboard aircraft; 49 U.S.C. 46505.
    (8) Conveying false information and threats; 49 U.S.C. 46507.
    (9) Aircraft piracy outside the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States; 49 U.S.C. 46502(b).
    (10) Lighting violations involving transporting controlled substances; 49 U.S.C. 46315.
    (11) Unlawful entry into an aircraft or airport area that serves air carriers or foreign air carriers contrary to established security requirements; 49 U.S.C. 46314.
    (12) Destruction of an aircraft or aircraft facility; 18 U.S.C. 32.
    (13) Murder.
    (14) Assault with intent to murder.
    (15) Espionage.
    (16) Sedition.
    (17) Kidnapping or hostage taking.
    (18) Treason.
    (19) Rape or aggravated sexual abuse.
    (20) Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive or weapon.
    (21) Extortion.
    (22) Armed or felony unarmed robbery.
    (23) Distribution of, or intent to distribute, a controlled substance.
    (24) Felony arson.
    (25)
    Felony involving a threat.
    (26) Felony involving -
    (i) Willful destruction of property;
    (ii) Importation or manufacture of a controlled substance;
    (iii) Burglary;
    (iv) Theft;
    (v) Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation;
    (vi) Possession or distribution of stolen property;
    (vii) Aggravated assault;
    (viii) Bribery; or
    (ix) Illegal possession of a controlled substance punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than 1 year.
    (27) Violence at international airports; 18 U.S.C. 37.
    (28) Conspiracy or attempt to commit any of the criminal acts listed in this paragraph (d).

CRIKEY! That is sure some list they got there! But I dunno ... that 'v' one looks mighty tame compared to all the rest?

Banned
    Mallory, which one or ones of the above offences do you fall under?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    CRIKEY! That is sure some list they got there! But I dunno ... that 'v' one looks mighty tame compared to all the rest?
    It's not "tame" when you realize we are talking about a position of TRUST that they are evaluating you for. Actually, the "possession of stolen property" is tamer for security issues, in my opinion, than being a convicted felonious liar.

As you wish - in a list that includes rape, treason, sedition, espionage and piracy? Dishonesty struck me as a milder criminal act. The fault lies within me I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
    Not to reopen an old wound. but a JobPath exec told me that they try to get students local jobs, and the Tucson employers they work with swear that by FAA rules that no felon can work at an airport or even be on runway. I argue, this Can't be so, I 've been on a bit of Tucson Air Strip a few times as required for my class. This makes no sense, if I cant get a job, then why was I accepted into the A & P program? Why did I get a Federal Pell Grant? Common Sense, these would not come through if there was no chance.

Also my Teachers deny this, they have seen a couple felons get hi grades, licenses, and jobs. FAA Part 13 doesn't mention this nor have I
    seen this anywhere in FAA regs.

I told Job Path that is only Those employers' Policies , Not the law, and I still get denied their help. IDK who they are but I've heard bad
    things about Bombardier by guys who work/worked there.
    No idea who/what Job Path is. There are restrictions for the FAA, TSA, and DHS dealing with felonies. Others posted the list. The look back period is generally 10 years; you would have to read the details to find if ten years from offense or ten years from end of time served.
    Your best bet for employment is likely with a small mechanics shop, not the airlines or corporate to start. Because of the SIDA issues others mentioned.
    (One of the better mechanics I have used was a convicted felon, but that was twenty years in the past)

Good luck,

Tim

The SIDA restriction (and the DC-3 rules which mimic the same text) are ten years from the date of CONVICTION.