Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27 - 18 arrivals

27 - 18 arrivals

I have flown into OSH many times with very few problems (other than the occasional idiot). This year we were sent to a left base 18 and the plane ahead of us was sent to a right base 27. Wind was not much of a factor. In my opinion (for what its worth) I think these this combination puts the planes in to close of a proximity. I was turning left at the same time he was turning right. Very close and made my passenger uneasy. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McGrew View Post
    ... This year we were sent to a left base 18 and the plane ahead of us was sent to a right base 27. ...In my opinion (for what its worth) I think these this combination puts the planes in to close of a proximity.... Any one have any thoughts on this?
    Yep, you're right. Pretty close.

Huh? Normal ATC traffic separation below 18000' MSL is 500' vertically? Like IFR traffic is on 1000 ft levels and VFR traffic is on 1000' plus 500' so they're 500' apart?

Well, that's not the same.

We can't even maneuver because we're stuck on those narrow 9' to 12' wide lanes. What? We're not?

Never mind.Name:  kosh.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  81.9 KBName:  download.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  8.4 KB

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! My wife panics when traffic is 3 miles away, sometimes more, so I empathize with you, Mr McGrew.)
    Last edited by Mike M; 08-21-2017 at 08:19 AM.

If you follow the notam, it has you turning base for 18 even with the tower. That gives you at least a half mile separation from 27 arrivals.

Mikes diagram is irrelevant in this case as the Notam describes where you turn base, which is no where near as shown on that diagram.
    The 500' vertical separation is also irrelevant as we're talking about lateral separation.

Kyle is correct, there is at least 1/2 mile separation, between base and final for the two runways. If you want to fly into Oshkosh, you're going to have to reduce the distance between planes at times.
    Be on your toes with your eyes open, that's the way it is.

Be careful turning a low and tight base to final to 18, too many guys have died turning too tight, I've seen it happen myself.

P10 of NOTAM: "Turn base abeam the Blue dot. If unable, make immediate right turn to Southeast for resequencing. DO NOT continue past the Blue Dot UNLESS ADVISED BY ATC." (Emphasis in original.)

I am only repeating what previous posters said to stress the importance the NOTAM placed on NOT conflicting with traffic on 27. FDC NOTAMs are regulatory, so I am confident that you read it as part of your pre-flight planning.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Read it every year for 12 years. Still do not like the 27 - 18 used together. One rookie mistake and its a mid air. If it no winds then 9 - 36. I can not think of a wind situation that would require 18 - 27?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McGrew View Post
    Read it every year for 12 years. Still do not like the 27 - 18 used together. One rookie mistake and its a mid air. If it no winds then 9 - 36. I can not think of a wind situation that would require 18 - 27?
    A wind from the SW would drive them to use 18 and 27.

As far as the rookie mistake goes, the reduced separation rules apply. They take away some of the margin for rookie mistakes.

Perhaps a better way to use both 27 and 18 would be per page 11 of the NOTAM where all traffic continues up the railroad tracks at Fisk onto the 27 downwind. Then when on the 27 downwind, some traffic would be vectored Right, flying over 27, then descending to 18, while other traffic would continue the standard 27 approach.

This would also work with Rnwy 9 in use with some traffic turning Right from the RR tracks to 9 while other traffic continued to fly the 27 downwind then turning Right to 18.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  13.9 KB

One of the great things about arriving at fisk is that the traffic stream is split 50/50 at that point, greatly reducing separation issues. Anything that undid that would need to have huge benefits elsewhere.

The current procedures are fine. Just understand and follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    One of the great things about arriving at fisk is that the traffic stream is split 50/50 at that point, greatly reducing separation issues. Anything that undid that would need to have huge benefits elsewhere.

The current procedures are fine. Just understand and follow them.
    I can't see as having the Conga line keep going past Fisk would make any difference.