Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAA App Suggestion/Question

EAA App Suggestion/Question

As a near Luddite myself I know little to zero about programming an App, but one 'feature' I think would be super popular would be a way use my phone's GPS location and be able to ask the Airventure App "How do I get to......?" and have the App then direct me via the correct shuttle/tram/bus or walking direction to the location/area/event/parking lot/whatever I wanted to visit.

Since to my non-techno brain that sounds like a simple thing to do, shall I presume it would require near NASA space mission programming hours and costs to achieve? - lol - or is it actually not that impossible to merge the required databases?

Just wondering on a Thursday afternoon.

That would be nice.

Another feature missing from this year's app was the ability to say "What's showing in the Theater in the Woods tonight" (or similar questions).

Frankly if you couldn't search for it with a simple alphanumeric thing (like "GARMIN" to find the Garmin booth or "NAVION" to find the Navion forum, it was real hard to get any useful information out of the thing.

One thing that would be really nice is the ability to download/push schedule updates (particularly the airshow schedule).

Or at least a map that says, "You are here" ! I know there are signs and maps at certain locations but when you aren't near one, then an app would be nice. $0.02. I know, I know, what do ya want, a personal guide ??
    Bob

I also wouldn't consider myself an advanced user, but I'm quite sure all the 3 suggestions above were actually available in the current version of the app, except FlyingRon's last suggestion about downloading updates. I'd like to know a little bit more about the problem, essentially the app should always have the most up-to-date info since it is synced with the website.

If you have any other thoughts/questions/clarifying please don't hesitate to shoot me an email at ecernjar@eaa.org

Thanks!
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

I think you misunderstand Randy. What the app did was drop a pin on the photo where the event is. It didn't tell you how to get there.

As I stated, there is NO WAY to find out something except by either tediously scrolling through one of the broad categories (Airshow, Forums, Gatherings, ...) or by guessing some keyword for it and searching.
    While there is a category on the front page for venues, all it does is tell you where the venue is, not what is happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I think you misunderstand Randy. What the app did was drop a pin on the photo where the event is. It didn't tell you how to get there.

As I stated, there is NO WAY to find out something except by either tediously scrolling through one of the broad categories (Airshow, Forums, Gatherings, ...) or by guessing some keyword for it and searching.
    While there is a category on the front page for venues, all it does is tell you where the venue is, not what is happening there.

On the map, what I experienced was both a pin for the location of the event, and also a blue dot icon for your current position, and that blue dot is real time to show you your proximity to the destination. I don't think it draws the route from here to there but I think it shows you both yourself and your destination. Is that sufficient or do you feel the 'route' would be very helpful?

Good point on the last part. I see your point, when looking up Theater in the Woods, for example, it's just a description of the venue and not a list of activities there. The way around it for me was to look at the daily schedule, scroll down to the night time activities and found it that way. I was also able to just search 'theater' in the search terms and all the events came up from that venue. Good point though that if there's a way to link the activities to the venue that that would make the experience more user friendly.

Thanks for the input!

Eric - I can only report back that one of the most frequent questions I handle all day, every day as a shuttle conductor is "How do I get to....?" from a person who often has a map in their hands. The other of equal frequency is "What shuttle goes to....?" (GOOD signage would help there)

There is very little 'directional' information available. I have 'rescued' many the visitor just by explaining for the umpteenth time that unlike most every other map they've used in their lives, North is to the left on the AirVenture maps.... definitely not intuitive to the newcomers.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-29-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Eric - I can only report back that one of the most frequent questions I handle all day, every day as a shuttle conductor is "How do I get to....?" from a person who often has a map in their hands. The other of equal frequency is "What shuttle goes to....?" (GOOD signage would help there)

There is very little 'directional' information available. I have 'rescued' many the visitor just by explaining for the umpteenth time that unlike most every other map they've used in their lives, North is to the left on the AirVenture maps.... definitely not intuitive to the newcomers.
    Understood. Thanks for the feedback and thanks so much for helping during AirVenture! That goes for all of you. As you already certainly know it wouldn't be much of a show without the thousands of volunteers. You guys (and gals) are deeply appreciated.

Chicagorandy, I know only too well of what you speak. As a driver, I have had people stand in front of the tractor while a "spokesman" will come to me for directions. Have you ever tried talking over the noise that engine makes ? I try to point them to the conductor only to find she is being swamped also. While more signs would help, if people would read the information they are handed out when they get their passes, it would cut down on the questions IMHO.Having an extra person at the loading area to help the "traffic cop" there would also help. I gave Gene and Sandy a list before I closed up to head north on Sunday. Hopefully it will get passed on.

Bill L

We see folks from all walks of life, all experience levels and also speaking so many different languages. Signage and other forms of directional assistance really do need to be geared to the lowest common denominator assuming zero familiarity with AirVenture and the sprawling grounds. I still recall my first visit to the Convention over 15 years ago and well appreciate how confounding the massive scale of the place can be.