Thread: Hand Rivet Squeezer?

Hand Rivet Squeezer?

I've never used one, but considering buying one. How are they to use? Does it take a lot of pulling power to squeeze .-3 or -4 rivets? When pulling, is it hard to keep it stable on the rivet? I'm talking solid rivets, not pop rivets.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by supercub43; 08-16-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supercub43 View Post
    I've never used one, but considering buying one. How are they to use? Does it take a lot of pulling power to squeeze .-3 or -4 rivets? When pulling, is it hard to keep it stable on the rivet?
    Thanks
    Brian
    Where usable, they are awesome! Much easier to use than a gun and bucking bar, much less likely to drive a bad rivet. "Almost" idiot proof. I would like to say completely idiot proof but I have already demonstrated otherwise......

For small pop-rivets - 1/8" diameter - the usually yellow one-hand squeezing device is fine and requires just 'normal' force.

For 3/16" and larger - there is a long handled two-hand unit that applies the needed leverage IF you have room to use it in your application.

If you only are doing three or four rivets of either size? Harbor Freight is your answer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/swivel...ter-63396.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...tle-66422.html
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-16-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Where usable, they are awesome! Much easier to use than a gun and bucking bar, much less likely to drive a bad rivet. "Almost" idiot proof. I would like to say completely idiot proof but I have already demonstrated otherwise......

i believe he asking about a solid rivet squeezer. I used one when I took my Airframe Oral & Practicals and it worked out great. I watched an A&P trying to install some nut plates on a C-47 access panel with a rivet gun and bucking bar. He was really struggling and keep bending the rivets. After watching him for a while I finally went over and asked if I could show him a different way of doing it. At first he as a little hesitant, because I wasn't and A&P at the time. I installed all four nut plates in a matter of minutes and each rivet was set perfectly with the rivet squeezer. However the are a lot of times that you can not use a rivet squeezer. I only use a rivet gun and bucking bar, when I can use my river squeezer. I have 6 different head for my squeezer, so that are a lot of places I can use it.

Well then my response will border on the useless to the OP - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by supercub43 View Post
    I've never used one, but considering buying one. How are they to use? Does it take a lot of pulling power to squeeze .-3 or -4 rivets? When pulling, is it hard to keep it stable on the rivet?
    Thanks
    Brian
    I love my rivet squeezer. It is an inexpensive Tatco model, with a 1 1/2" yoke. I can easily squeeze -3 rivets. -4 rivets require a little more work. When I was building the RV-6, I added cheater bars to the handles to make it easier when I needed to squeeze a number of -4's.

Right now, I'd love to find an inexpensive no-hole yoke squeezer, which allows you to work in very tight spaces, but I haven't found one at the right price..

If I was looking for a squeezer, I'd try something like this:

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...T_ID=ATSRS-3SD

It has a 3" yoke which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Well then my response will border on the useless to the OP - LOL
    But Randy, it has something in common with most of the responses here.......haha

IMO the Cleaveland Tool "Main Squeeze" is hands down the best squeezer available http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Main-S.../#.WZVoOsv3af0. If you are going to hand squeeze a lot or squeeze 1/8" rivets it's worth the investment. Also it uses the same yokes as a pneumatic squeezer.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    IMO the Cleaveland Tool "Main Squeeze" is hands down the best squeezer available http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Main-S.../#.WZVoOsv3af0. If you are going to hand squeeze a lot or squeeze 1/8" rivets it's worth the investment. Also it uses the same yokes as a pneumatic squeezer.
    Bingo! My go to squeezer throughout my whole build, liked it over a pneumatic one I had.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org