Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's that in the sky?

Dana, : 2 things , We did observe it for a long time, It didnt move a degree. And meanwhile over the almost 2 hour period the scatterd and then broken clouds slowly moved across the sky, passing this still object. It is roughly 2 miles above us and perhaps a mile or two horizontal to the east, not that far.
    And 18,000 feet sounds like way up there but we are at 8,000 so not as high as might seem. My consulsoion is if this was a balloon it must have been tethered. Thanks for your suggetions, maybe we will find out sometime.

Banned
    Bill, when ET knocks on your door looking for a ride in the Spit, please keep us advised.

Several people seeing it and no-one took a picture?
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

In the 70's when I was a teenager one Wednesday evening in the summer at 7 pm I saw this white light up in the sky. It was still light outside at this time of year. It went from one horizon to the other. Taking maybe 45 mins to do this. Every Wednesday at 7pm a group of us started gathering to watch this. This went on for a few months. All the way into the fall season and the time change. Then on one Wednesday there was four lights. All coming from each direction, north-south-east-west. These started at the horizon and moved up to right over head. All four lights came together and formed one light. This took maybe 40 mins for these lights to come together. They stayed as one light for what seemed like 30 mins or so. They then broke off into each single light. But this time they where gone in a second. They went from over head to the horizon in a matter of a second. We never saw these lights again after this night. There must have been 30 of us watching this. Everyone was shocked when they became one, then even more shocked when they went out of sight in a second or the blink of an eye. I am still today amazed at what I saw this Wednesday night.

Tony

Glen, I'll ask if anyone snapped a cell phone photo. Problem is it was small enough that you might just get a dot, unless you had a tele lens. Think if you took a cell phone photo of a Huey 3 miles away? Wish we had a top camera on a tripod with long lens. Even looking through binoculars it was hard to hold them steady, couldnt find any real detail or markings on this thing. It is a lot smaller than for instance the moon would look on the horizon at night, maybe 1/6 that size? It's a little smaller than if you held a frisbee at arms length, but larger than a dot of a star at night. And it was seen by not just several people but dozens, anyone who walked out when it was there could see it with just their eye, older van driver saw it out the lunchroom window, The valets saw it first since their booth is outside the front door.
    I met a controller who was off duty that day but said he saw much the same thing in the last year.

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Oddly enough, I just arrived in Tucson to visit a flying friend. Just about the first thing he said was, "I saw a weird stationary white object in the sky recently..."

It behaved at bit differently from Bill's...short term brightness variations for a bit, then it disappeared. He showed me a cell phone photo. There was indeed a white dot in the sky. Zoomed in, it appeared unsymmetrical, but that's probably a camera artifact.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Oddly enough, I just arrived in Tucson to visit a flying friend. Just about the first thing he said was, "I saw a weird stationary white object in the sky recently..."

It behaved at bit differently from Bill's...short term brightness variations for a bit, then it disappeared. He showed me a cell phone photo. There was indeed a white dot in the sky. Zoomed in, it appeared unsymmetrical, but that's probably a camera artifact.

Ron Wanttaja
    Tethered Aerostat in Sierra Vista maybe?
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Tethered Aerostat in Sierra Vista maybe?
    He's aware of that one, the object he saw was 200 miles away in a different direction.

Ron Wanttaja