Thread: First Flight Test Procedures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Flight Test Procedures

Does any one know where I can find good sample or full flight testing procedures plan. I have looked around and can only find test plans for the normal experimental category. nothing that pertains to the UL category. if its the same, then I have the AC for it.

Robert

well it looks like i am on my own on this one, will have to create my own set of parameters based on the AC for Homebuilt aircraft.

thank you all who looked.
    Robert

Remember, FAA AC 90-89B is titled "Amateur-Built and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook". It is crafted to cover the full range of aircraft. Use it as your guide for constructing a flight test program that meets your needs.

It also helps to talk to other pilots who have experience in the same or very similar aircraft, so that you can have some foreknowledge of what to expect from the design.

Go carefully!
    Cheers!

Joe

thank you Joe, that is what I am reading now, looking at section 8-10 of the AC the guidance is there but need to read between the lines on what is really important.
    there are several people that have completed the design I started with, but my version is a hybrid as my wings and landing gear are not per the plans.
    so I have to find the flight envelope on my own, even the plans do not give any guidance only what the ultralight specs should be if built to the plans.

Have a great day, Robert

i found the answers i was looking for in the April 1988 issue of Sport Aviation, on page 28, by Tony Bingelis.
    he explains why what i am looking for does not exist. That an the lawyers make sure our sue happy society has no teeth to bite with LOL.

Robert

Ok, all so far all is good, 14 test flights and only minor issues, nothing to do with engine, fuel, or controls.
    should be going for altitude tomorrow, final trim testing of horizontal stabilizer if all goes well, will get the first trip around the pattern at 1000 feet above the ground, all within easy gliding distance of the runway of course. all flights have been stable, and no doubt about controls or responses from flight controls or engine.
    Robert