Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Security at OSH

Can one exercise their 2nd amendment rights in Camp Scholler? Asking for a friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    If I can carry at the Oshkosh Walmart down the street (and I can) I should be able to also do so on the grounds at AirVenture.
    In the name of all that is rational and logical, FOR WHAT PURPOSE!?!? In case someone hijacked your tram?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    In the name of all that is rational and logical, FOR WHAT PURPOSE!?!? In case someone hijacked your tram?
    Floats,

First, it's YOUR RIGHT to do so, so exercise it if you wish.
    Second, if there's ANY attack, issue or looney that wants to cause you harm your first line of defense is YOU. If you aren't armed, then you have a huge disadvantage. The cops will NOT help you as they won't be there until after the fact.
    Third, you may be in a position to help someone else, less fortunate. Yes, we are our brother's keeper... to a point.

Fortunately rare, but it happens, and is happening more. Terrorists, robbers and villains will unlikely be stopped by LEOs or the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrrryo View Post
    Floats,

First, it's YOUR RIGHT to do so, so exercise it if you wish.
    IIRC, Floats is from Canada. Don't think it's a constitutionally-recognized right, up there. Down here, the local gendarmerie might take it amiss if a foreign national is carrying concealed....

For another view, read Robert Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky." Specifically, the advice the main character's combat-trained sister gives him prior to his survival exercise.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Rabid hedgehogs. They're a real problem around here. Vicious little critters, those.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Walmart is not the EAA. The EAA is free to set their own rules. If you don't like it, grab a bunch of your friends and make a run for the board. It's been tried in the past (unsuccessfully), or create your own organization.

I am not for a single second disputing EAA's right to make their own rules for their 'house'. Nor would I in a million years ever consider not following them. I am merely expressing my opinion that it is kind of a silly restriction to place on that segment of the general populace that has been background checked, fingerprinted, trained and demonstrated themselves to be law abiding citizens of the first order.

As a side note, I KNOW I am 100 times safer schlepping around that convention site than I am were I ever stupid enough to try and wander around my own neighborhood at home.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-11-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Well, I have a carry permit and own several pistols and a slew of various long guns. The guys who jump up and down and cry about constitutional right to carry guns into certain places they are reasonably denied are the people I am scared of. These are almost certainly the same guys who have had at least one negligent discharge in their life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I am merely expressing my opinion that it is kind of a silly restriction to place on that segment of the general populace that has been background checked, fingerprinted, trained and demonstrated themselves to be law abiding citizens of the first order.
    You are living or thinking in a comfortable bubble of your own making. I wish I was as confident and optimist as you that permit holders are all law abiding citizens. That is not only a gross miscalculation but a horribly misguided generalization. And what do you base that on? Some anecdotal evidence from friends and relatives? Emotional response?

There are tons of US statistics about permit holders involved in violent crimes. Here's just one that might surprise you: People with legal concealed carry permits have committed at least 29 mass shootings since 2007 (The Washington Post 10/26/15). Cold comfort for me.

Given that there are over 14-1/2 MILLION concealed permit holders in the USA? You are correct that there are doubtless a small percentage that are bad operators. I do not defend anyone who breaks the law. EVERY occupation on earth also a has a small percentage of folks who commit all forms of bad things to innocent people. I like airplane people a lot, but accept that there are doubtless some who deserve horse-dragging or hanging for the deeds they do.

Perhaps I'm a rose-colored glasses optimist (and everyone who knows me just laughed out loud) I would be far more inclined to welcome those who have been vetted onto my lands than those who have not. Understanding that most all folks are basically good.