Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Security at OSH

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    They sell beer at the camp stores, but what is your point? Anybody can go to any establishment outside the grounds and buy beer as well, and bring it unhindered into Camp Scholler. But you can't bring any onto the convention grounds itself.
    There is now a camp store on the grounds as well. Of course, anybody can fly in with a backseat full of booze as well. How do you think the Metro Warbirds and Vintage get their supplies? You can also drive in and drop it off as long as you do so before Sunday.

I don't think that I saw the customary security cart in the camp grounds this year. Didn't notice until I thought about it later.

The most annoying "searchers" are not EAA volunteers, but are the TSA people who really don't know their own rules and are obnoxiously snotty to boot. That's not painting all with a too broad brush, because I've seen TSAers who were kind, pleasant, nice, etc. But some folks are given a badge, and they suddenly become super cops. But they still don't accomplish much.

Realistically, most bag searches everywhere are part of security theater. They really don't accomplish much toward real security. On the other hand, they're not all that onerous, it's part of today's society, so either plan to stay home or be searched occasionally. C'est la vie.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Two points: And you can buy a Swiss Army Knife at the Geneva and Zurich airports AFTER you pass through security at the gift shops in the duty free zone. Alcohol at AirVenture seems to follow the same logic. there may be some sort of Wisconsin law, but I am just guessing.

When dealing with huge numbers of people and the threat is generally low, you can implement random checks. Even Disneyworld's security is somewhat random on this point, too (and they also seem particularly interested in bringing alcohol into the park. There may be commercial concerns at play in BOTH locations.) Random access control measures are still supposed to be random, not chaotic. Not saying security checks at OSH were chaotic, but from what is described here, it was something less than a well disciplined process.

Personally, I was never checked in the entire 8 days I was there...but I never came or left through the main gates, either. When I did come in through one of the other gates it was well after the closing time.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I think you guys should zipp it.....and stop this thread.

NO,
    I don't attend those events. I value MY security and privacy too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I'm wondering if you have the same attitude when attending any professional sporting event where bag checking is commonplace? NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.
    Nope,
    Don't attend those, as I value MY security and privacy too much. We worked TOO hard to get this and we're loosing it.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    At one checkpoint, I opened the main compartment on my backpack. They asked me specifically if I had any alcohol. I said no and there was no further interest in searching my backpack.
    It has nothing to do with alcohol... only revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    What a great terrorist target OSH would be. I learned from a law enforcement source a few years ago that there had been a credible threat that year. As far as I am concerned they should search more and I am happy to oblige. Just my 2 cents.
    Do you really think they'll stop terrorists by searching pilots attending OSH????? You need a reality check. Hell, they can't stop terrorist with airport security.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    I think you guys should zipp it.....and stop this thread.
    Why? Don't you stand up for rights that our fore fathers gave their lives for? What is the price of freedom and how much are you willing to throw by the wayside? The security checks at OSH (and a lot of other venue are a guise for a different agenda, like revenue or just a show of power. They serve absolutely NO purpose for the betterment of OSH.

I suspect that most of the folks here are too young to remember the freedoms we have lost, and need to be reminded of what it's really worth.

The last thing we need it to jeopardize our aviation freedoms. Stand UP for your rights. It's not a privilege, it's a right.