Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Security at OSH

Quote Originally Posted by scottf View Post
    worse when you do it you do it with undertrained unqualified unsupervised without background checks volunteers?
    One correction here, the people wearing the blue shirts with the word Security on them are NOT volunteers. They are paid EAA employees, so they are supervised, may have had background checks and one could also assume some training of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf View Post
    I think the difference here is that I don't pay the NFL the NBA or any other sports organization to defend me against purposeless government regulation. Conversely speaking I do pay the EAA to protect me from that.

I don't think we would find a single person at EAA from Mr. Pelton on down that thinks the TSA is anything but security theater. To me it is about the highest in hypocrisy you can get the EAA subjecting it's membership to this joke of a search. Worse, beyond the inconvenience of it all, it lends credence to the notion that we in the public should just sit back and begin Accepting these purposeless searches as a normal fact of life. How can you protect me from overbearing regulation when you're actively participating in it yourselves - worse when you do it you do it with undertrained unqualified unsupervised without background checks volunteers? So what exactly is this security? How can you attack the TSA for what they do when you yourselves do it in a manner that is nothing but laughable?

so yes there is a difference between the NBA and the EAA. One is a corporation whose primary purpose is to make money - Eaa on the other hand used to exist principaly to protect our rights as homebuilders and aviators. Creating the "TS EAA"to check security or paying for air traffic control Or a host of other things that have happened over the last few years would tend to call into question the If the core values of EAA remain those that Paul created it for.
    Spot on, Scottf!

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    I had a pocket knife in my bag, they missed it every time. I ended up just leaving it behind because it was a gift from my nieces and I didn't want to lose it.
    Although not OSH, my grandson and I were at SnF. He had his pocketknife in his backpack. We wanted to go to the Fly-Market. When he realized bag checkers were going to store our day packs, he began to get nervous and asked if we could just leave. I could see his panic setting in so I began asking why he suddenly seemed so scared to go to the Fly-Market. He whispered that his pocket knife was in his day pack and he was basically scared to death that he was now doing something extraordinarily wrong. In front of the people checking in bags I explained to him that having a pocket knife is not a crime and that aside from his school, probably most people don't even care. I then pointed out that I had one in my front pocket as well and considering the number of hobbyist etc. that are in there looking at cool junk, that I would wager a good 25% of them have at least one as well.

I am glad that the bag checkers were quick to back me up by pointing out to him that it was perfectly ok to have a pocket knife in your bag. As we left I heard the one bag checker comment to the other "it's the schools, they have all these kids scared to death about everything."
    Last edited by RickFE; 08-23-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickFE View Post
    Although not OSH, my grandson and I were at SnF. He had his pocketknife in his backpack. We wanted to go to the Fly-Market. When he realized bag checkers were going to store our day packs, he began to get nervous and asked if we could just leave. I could see his panic setting in so I began asking why he suddenly seemed so scared to go to the Fly-Market. He whispered that his pocket knife was in his day pack and he was basically scared to death that he was now doing something extraordinarily wrong. In front of the people checking in bags I explained to him that having a pocket knife is not a crime and that aside from his school, probably most people don't even care. I then pointed out that I had one in my front pocket as well and considering the number of hobbyist etc. that are in there looking at cool junk, that I would wager a good 25% of them have at least one as well.

I am glad that the bag checkers were quick to back me up by pointing out to him that it was perfectly ok to have a pocket knife in your bag. As we left I heard the one bag checker comment to the other "it's the schools, they have all these kids scared to death about everything."
    That's an absolute shame. The schools and authorities have gone down hill big time. I'd be on the board fighting that nonsense. Can you imagine what the next group of leaders will be like, that don't have a clue what freedom is.

What would the bag checkers do if they found any contraband? Give a "don't bring that next time" warning? Didn't see any boxes with confiscated material at any checkpoint.

Pocketknives and boys. I have a couple of old editions of the Boy Scout Handbook (or rather Handbook for Boys) where it says that a good pocketknife is something that every boy should always have with him. Even more recent handbooks say that the pocketknife is the most essential tool a boy can have and to always have one when outdoors -- with the current versions warning not to bring them to schools or airports. (I suppose it depends what side of the airport you are going to. As we already addressed, OSH is OK.) The current prohibition on pocketknives past security at the airport terminal, I read, did not come from the TSA. They actually lifted the restriction when the Europeans did. That lasted for a couple of weeks when the restriction was reinstated due to pressure from Flight Attendants' Unions. So I read. If someone knows differently, please correct me.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Pocketknives and boys. I have a couple of old editions of the Boy Scout Handbook (or rather Handbook for Boys) where it says that a good pocketknife is something that every boy should always have with him.
    Yep, times have changed. The attached is from the "Preflight Study Manual for Civil Air Patrol Cadets," dated about 1944. Note that it provides instruction for injecting morphine.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by deftone View Post
    I guess the trick to avoid being searched was to have a stroller. We had our 1 year old with stroller and associated diaper bags etc and was not searched once the entire 9 days we were there.

...or go through this guys gate.

Banned
    Not nice to shame or ridicule someone who volunteers. But really, EAA, this is on you, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Not nice to shame or ridicule someone who volunteers. But really, EAA, this is on you, you get what you pay for.
    After I woke him up (to make sure he didn't have a health issue) he told me that this security job was a paid position. So I guess, in this case, EAA didn't get what they paid for.

As a volunteer that was there all week, I saw a wide variety of security at the gates I used. At the beginning of the week it was like Fort Knox, but by the end it seemed like none of the paid security (the blue shirts) really cared what happened.

Over worked? Under paid? I don't know but it would be nice to have consistent standards all week.