Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Oshkosh Top Ten, and thanks EAA.

Beautiful pictures! What did you use to take them?
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Thanks Glenn. Taken with a pretty entry level Canon T5i DSLR and a rented Sigma 100-400 telephoto lens. Jim Koepnick (Past EAA photo staffer and one of the true greats in aviation photgraphy) is a Sigma Pro now and I decided to try this lens based on his reviews. It was a great lens for the week at Oshkosh. Rentals are very reasonable from www.Lensrentals.com or www.borrowlenses.com. I do not shoot many airshows so renting a lens makes better sense than buying for me.

Outstanding photos! LOVE seeing the past and present military aircraft fly. This year especially poignant with the B-25s and Col. Dick Cole there for the 75th Doolittle Raid anniversary.

Great photos! And a really fine list.

One of the things that many people don't realize is that without military aviation, many of the advances that occurred over the years would never have happened. Although it's not very well written (he was a much better aviator than writer), Jimmy Doolittle's auto-biography, "I could never be so lucky again", points that out. So it's very appropriate that at OSH, military aviation is lauded.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Cary,

Although I agree with your observation, the same could be said for armed conflict and developments in emergency room trauma care and prosthetics. Not necessarily a comparison I would want to make.

Some great advancements were independent of military requirements. The Wright Flyer being one, the Hughes Racer and all the developments from that being another (which influenced military technology.) I would like to add going to the moon, but there is that pesky Werner von Braun aspect. But there is Burt Rutan and the X-prize (also, of course, Charles Lindberg and the NYP prize) are all great examples of civilian developments enabling subsequent military technology (including the DC-3 and my own airplane.)

I am NOT picking on your post, just presenting another view.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Many of the advances made in science, technology, medicine and even mathematics are the direct result of warfare. It has been so for many centuries. I for one would be very happy to see a higher proportion of advances made in pursuit of things like a robust and well supported space program, but history cannot be changed. All we can do is to try to influence what happens in the future.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
    Thanks Glenn. Taken with a pretty entry level Canon T5i DSLR and a rented Sigma 100-400 telephoto lens. Jim Koepnick (Past EAA photo staffer and one of the true greats in aviation photgraphy) is a Sigma Pro now and I decided to try this lens based on his reviews. It was a great lens for the week at Oshkosh. Rentals are very reasonable from www.Lensrentals.com or www.borrowlenses.com. I do not shoot many airshows so renting a lens makes better sense than buying for me.
    Thanks for the reply, I will check it out. And agreed on Jim, EAA lost a great photographer.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Wouldn't be Oshkosh without the Tri-Motor!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIPc...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Wouldn't be Oshkosh without the Tri-Motor!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIPc...ature=youtu.be
    Took a ride in the Tri Motor last year ! Nice !
    Bob