Thread: Controversy at Biggin Hill on BBC News

Controversy at Biggin Hill on BBC News

Hi There,
    Those of you in the London area may have caught an item on the BBC Evening news, 28th July concerning Bromley Council's plans to demolish part of the RAF Memorial Chapel, to replace it with an ugly square building which will be the long awaited Battle of Britain Museum. The plans for a mini Duxford type building that could take large artifacts and even an aircraft have been pushed aside for a building that it seems will have only photos and video displays. A quick witted resident recorded the BBC item and it can be seen by accessing the Downe Village website and scrolling down to the first story. Click here: http://www.downe-kent.org.uk

To persuade Bromley Council to think again an On-Line petition has been started with already 10,700 signatures. Just Google: Protect Biggin Hill RAF Chapel. Or just click here, please sign and share: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...of-remembrance

Banned
    Your petition will not accept my Canadian postal code, says it's invalid. I assure you, it isn't.

Hi Floats,
    The petition needs a UK postcode. Do you have friends in UK, use theirs ?..!!

Sometimes local people can be shortsighted or too money cautious. One phone call from Her Majesty would resolve this. Its historic ground and the palace has many times honored these RAF vets. Harry recently did a Spit flight himself, think it was from Duxford but could also have been Biggin.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-08-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Sometimes local people can be shortsighted or too money cautious. One phone call from Her Majesty would resolve this.
    Maybe, but maybe not. The actual powers of the British constitutional monarchy are limited. It would certainly put a certain moral force behind it, but the politicians involved are under no requirement to comply. Might actually do more harm than good.

QEII has three rights: The right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn. The job is mostly ceremonial.

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Maybe, but maybe not. The actual powers of the British constitutional monarchy are limited. It would certainly put a certain moral force behind it, but the politicians involved are under no requirement to comply. Might actually do more harm than good.

QEII has three rights: The right to be consulted, the right to encourage, and the right to warn. The job is mostly ceremonial.

Ron Wanttaja
    You are correct, spoken like a good Commonwealther. Rarely will the monarch interfere or intercede in any issue, parliamentary or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

Ron Wanttaja
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    You are correct, spoken like a good Commonwealther. Rarely will the monarch interfere or intercede in any issue, parliamentary or otherwise.
    That is truly the highest paying non-job anywhere.

I hope your petition accomplishes something, Robert. Sorry, no friends in the UK to allow me to sign it.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Here is a good one CR0 7QT Good luck!
    PS. its zero not a O